Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desert426

450 cam in 426

9 posts in this topic

I have a 2002 WR426 that I want to install a exhaust cam out of a YZ450 in. Upon removing the stock cam and comparing measurements to the new cam, I have concerns. The new cam has a smaller diameter gear (2.383" vs. 2.462") this shouldn't be an issue since it is equipped with an automatic tensioner. The new cam also has a smaller base circle which will require some thicker shims, but the big thing I am worried about is the lobe shape. The stock cam has a much wider lobe which makes me believe it has more duration. Has anyone installed one of these? I want it for the kick and go feature, but I don't want to sacrifice power for it.

I think there have been many conversions to the 450 auto decomp cam with no harmful issues. Search this forum and you will find a long post with many answers that is most likely a year old by now. :cry:

I put one in my 02WR426 about a year and a half ago. No problems at all - much better torque curve and starting is a breeze. There is a sticky on top of the YZ forum that covers it all.

Thanks for the input on the sticky on the YZ forum. After reading it (some of it) it seems this is not the way to go. You have'nt had any problems with yours?

Thanks for the input on the sticky on the YZ forum. After reading it (some of it) it seems this is not the way to go. You have'nt had any problems with yours?

It sure is the way to go i have over 10,500 K's with mine :cry:

Absolutely no problems - only much more fun. If you are reading the early posts in the sticky, everyone and their dog had something to say, but no actual experience with the upgrade.

Has anyone had any good luck with the 450 in the 1999 wr 400?

Yup! About 1000 miles since switching to a YZ450 cam. No problems. The hit from the old YZ timed WR cam is gone - I now have a smooth linear power delivery - almost feels like I'm down on power. I've left the decomp lever in and still find myself going thru the drill of finding TDC, then 2 inches, then kick :cry: . All in all, a positive change.