master link

I was just doing a little maintence and noticed the slide part of the master link is wore down to paper thin. I put a new o-ring chain when the bike was new.I only have 270 miles on it now. Does the chain guide do this? It is the only thing that i can see that touches it. Anybody ever had this problem? thanks

hi,

my is a little loose,

should i change it too?

thanks.

It should be snug. Thye say not to even reuse the clips, but those are for those who cant tell good from bad I guess. I avoid reusing any clip, but will sometimes. If the clip is lose, discard it and replace the entire link IMHO. A Chain bailing out can create spendy repairs and a long push back to the truck or a awful spill. If it snaps under load, bunches up in the case, crack the engine housing or just come off and make for a long push back. Or come off and knot up in the rear wheel locking the rear tire up into a skid... visualize this at about 60 MPH headed into a turn... ?

If you only done 270 miles with a new chain and the split link is that badly worn,then you may want to replace the chain guide at the rear sprocket and/or the slider on top of the swing arm?,was the bike brand new when you bought it?,if so then make sure you clean the rear chain guide real good when you wash the bike(no stuff stuck in there!)also as a rule when you fit a new sprocket/sprockets but do not fit a new chain,a new split link should be fitted! ?

Thanks guys. The alignment seems to be good. I put another clip in. If the same thing happens I'll go to the after market chain guide and block. I had a four hour race in deeeep mud and hope thats what caused this. There's other mods I'd rather spend money on. thanks again...