HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
condog_aus

04 YZ450 how many links???

5 posts in this topic

Ordering new replacement chain for my YZ450 how many links does the stocker have. The bikes not hear yet thats why I cant go out to garage and count.

I just put one on the other day on my O4 yz450 and I bought a 120 link and I shortened it by 6 links. Soooo, the final answer is 114 links. I have a 50T rear and 14T front sprocket. I HIGHLY recommend a rivet type master link (to save your cases....). These bikes are just too powerful to trust a standard clip.

FYI, I put an RK 520 Gold X-ring. It is their top of the line chain. My last one lasted a season. I also use Ironman Stainless sprockets. Six times the lifetime of an alum sprocket on these bikes and still no wear. (on my 426)

I HIGHLY recommend a rivet type master link (to save your cases....). These bikes are just too powerful to trust a standard clip.

This is another thing Ilike about the Regina Gold O-ring chain. Their master link fits together tightly enough that the plate must be pressed onto the pins with some type of clamping/pressing tool. I use a modified Motion Pro chain breaker for this. The master link is very secure. I can also tell you that if properly installed, you will not lose the clip. It's never happened to me.

I checked out the tensile strengths on rockymountainmc.com

Regina ORN 520 O Ring is 7060lbs tensile strength

RK 520 X ring Gold is 8500lbs

DID 520 X ring is 8120lbs

These chains have such huge tensile strengths the different wear qualities has to be related to three main variable

1. Sprocket Quality

2. Riding Conditions

3. Plasticity of the metal

Given the metal plasticity would be fairly close and im going to run the stock sprockets, that makes the local riding conditions my main variable and hence im going with the RK Gold X-Ring which blokes here on KTM520 and 525's have been getting over 10000km problem free.

Thanks for the 114 links. :cry::cry::cry:

I got 32hrs (3months riding) with the std sprockets and a did x-ring. So I just ordered an Ironman front and rear. This chain used to last 100hrs on my 2 smoke but these things are hard on chain and sprockets