HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DoctorRzed

How do I remove stripped screws on carb?

14 posts in this topic

I wanted to take my carb apart and clean the carb but I found that all the screws are stripprd. Any ideas how to get them out?

I had the same problem on my float bowl screws. I had to pinch then with small vice grips and if that doesnt work try notching them so you can use a big flat head screwdriver. Use the same size alan screws to replace them. I havent had a prob since.

I had the same problem on my float bowl screws. I had to pinch then with small vice grips and if that doesnt work try notching them so you can use a big flat head screwdriver. Use the same size alan screws to replace them. I havent had a prob since.

This is the only way your going to get them out now that their wollowed out..

BC :cry:

Put your screw driver on the head of the screw now smack the screw driver with a hammer :cry:

That frees up the rust and corosion. Also use some penatraiting oil. You might have to use an easy out. Or drill them. A stud welder would work awesome!

Mine did the same thing...Smallest vice-grips wouldn't fit...drilled off heads....Vice-Grips fit after I drilled heads off and got float bowl out of the way. Just be sure to clean out the carb extremely well before you put it back together with a little anti-seize on threads of the new bolts/screws.

You can also use a left handed drill bit (got mine from the Snap-On guy). Nine times out of ten you never make it all the way through with the drill before the screw breaks loose..

I take a hack saw blade and make a slot across the screw head and use a flat blade screwdriver. Sometimes you have to break a piece off of the blade and use a vice grips to hold it.

Either needle nose vice grips or just use a drill running in reverse and apply pressure. It will slowly chew the material away and also back the screw out

Go to Sears. Craftsman makes a tool called the screw out. It costs about

$ 20.00 and has 3 different sizes. This is the best tool for this.

Yeah the best way is with vice grips it happened to me with thoes stupid brass screws ! it helps if you bring all of your screws to a local hardware store and tell them to match them exactley to allen Wrench heads you wont be sorry. :cry: best of luck to you :cry: