Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adaguy

Mobil 1 ATF what is the final word 7.5wt or 15wt

11 posts in this topic

I have read that mobil 1 atf is 7.5wt also I have read that it is 15wt any experts out there with the correct verifiable answere?

Thank you for your answeres in advance

Dexron II and Dexron III are both 7.2 - 7.5 wt., but that's at 100 degrees Celcius, or 212 F. They are about 30 wt. at 40 degrees C (104 F). How exactly this compares with the 5 Wt Fork oil called for in the manual at those temps isn't clear to me, unfortunately, because I don't know if the same viscosity scale is used.

Mercon and Type F fluids are heavier, however, at about 10-15 wt at 100 C. That's probably where the disagreement came from.

What are you putting ATF in motorcycle's don't use ATF :cry::cry::cry:

A lot of riders are using mobile 1 atf in their forks with great results.

I have used ATF in my forks in the past.....(Vintage stuff BSAs TRIUMPHs) I also used to weld up and drill my dampner holes....The new forks work so well that I don't really need to find a way to improve on them......I think I would stick to the top name FORK OIL

guys before I would use ATF, even though it might work for ya....These new forks cost too much to experiment with for me.....

BC

Tried mobil 1 in my forks was too stiff, had heard a rumor that some people were using it and I had access to mobil1 ATF, so I tried it, doesn't work in forks. Back to Yamaha 01.

i use the mobil 1 atf in my 04 wr450 with excellent results and its very close to the viscosity of the honda 5 w i was using so i would say its 7 1/2 it is a little stiffer but doesn't go away as much as the oil heats up. i also use it in conjunction with a subtank and they seem to compliment each other well. one thing i can tell you its not 30 w :cry:

These new forks cost too much to experiment with for me.....

BC,

The only negative thing that might happen by substituting ATF, particularly the Dexron II or III spec, for 5 wt. fork oil is that it would be too thick and not allow you to back off the damping settings far enough for your liking. Otherwise, it's an outstanding fluid. Remember that it is intended not only as a hydraulic fluid, but also a gear lube, and has the shear resistance of GL4 gear oils even at its light viscosity. It also has excellent corrosion inhibitors built in, is great for seals, and resists foaming tenaciously. You might not like it, but it won't hurt the forks.

Tried mobil 1 in my forks was too stiff, had heard a rumor that some people were using it and I had access to mobil1 ATF, so I tried it, doesn't work in forks. Back to Yamaha 01.

...and for a dissenting opinion: I just switched to the Mobil 1 ATF (from Enzo-Kayaba 01 oil) in my WR400 forks - LOVE IT :cry: I backed off (softened) one click on compression (from where I had it with the 01 oil) and love the feel of the forks - they seem to have come alive. I recommend it :cry::cry: