HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NCR

Connecting rod trouble...HELP!!!!!!!!

8 posts in this topic

Hi,

My bike was making a tektektek noise in the engine and connecting rod particles were found in the oil and oil filter :cry:

Honda only sells the connecting rod along with the crankshaft ($$$$!) :cry:

My mechanic says that he can install only a new con rod, thus saving me a lot of money.

A guy I know tell me that this is risky as the crankshaft/connecting rod connection can fail and mess up the engine.

Any help guys??? :cry:

Thanks and regards,

NCR

Had the same problem with my 600 in May, sent the crank to XR'S Only and had a new rod and bearing installed and balanced, havn't had any trouble with it. :cry:

A guy I know tell me that this is risky as the crankshaft/connecting rod connection can fail and mess up the engine.

Well, think of it this way: tough aftermarket rods like Carrillos dont come factory assembled on a new crank. The only way to use it is to have a shop disassemble an existing crank and replace the rod. If racers do it and dont have problems, I fail to see how a factory Honda assembly would be better.

Cliffs Notes: Dont worry. More people replace just the rod which is probably more likely to have a catastrophic failure than the crank.

Your mechanic doesnt know the options for the BRP.

Pickup your engine, put it in an old cooler with a piece of plywood on the bottom. Send it Grey Hound Bus (about $50) to the Grey Hound Terminal in Victorville, California.

Have Rob Barnum pick it up, and have him install a Carillo rod.

While you are at it consider a new piston, valves, cam and chain. Your bike has 2-3 seasons on it, and if you plan on keeping it for a few more years--an extra $1000 invested is IMHO worth it. Its worth having the crank machine balanced.

Of course its also an opportunity to go crazy and get a 680 kit with all the trimmings...

Again--for your mechanic to say that you have to go with a Honda rod and crank--especially on this bike---it is well known for failing OEM crank/rod assemblies, well he just doesnt know the BRP very well.

Rob does more of these than anyone else--he's da man.

www.barnumspro.com

HI,

My mechanic (works in a Honda dealer) doesn't recommend the Honda set up. He was thinking of installing an aftermarket rod.

The problem is he can't find an aftermarket rod here in Portugal... :cry:

XRs only and barnspro don't sell the rod alone... :cry:

Any ideas???

Regards,

NCR

Your mechanic doesnt know the options for the BRP.

Pickup your engine, put it in an old cooler with a piece of plywood on the bottom. Send it Grey Hound Bus (about $50) to the Grey Hound Terminal in Victorville, California.

Have Rob Barnum pick it up, and have him install a Carillo rod.

While you are at it consider a new piston, valves, cam and chain. Your bike has 2-3 seasons on it, and if you plan on keeping it for a few more years--an extra $1000 invested is IMHO worth it. Its worth having the crank machine balanced.

Of course its also an opportunity to go crazy and get a 680 kit with all the trimmings...

Again--for your mechanic to say that you have to go with a Honda rod and crank--especially on this bike---it is well known for failing OEM crank/rod assemblies, well he just doesnt know the BRP very well.

Rob does more of these than anyone else--he's da man.

www.barnumspro.com

How long would it take to get from Lisbon, Portugal to Victorville, CA on a Greyhound? :cry::cry::cry:

hmmm, you got a point there. Greyhound dont go to Lisbon...

I was thinking Portugal was sort of near Missouri--but my parole officer says its over there in Asia. damn commies...

How about sending the motor to Challenge 75 in Paris? I think they are the biggest Honda dealer in France and they build XR650 motors for the Paris Dakar.

Closer to Portugal you could call John at Motoventures.com in Spain and see if he can hook ya up.

The areas between Lisbon and the Argave look like the Ensenada region of Baja. Come over and race with us some time!!

If you need a new bike--but mine--12,500 Euros delivered anywhere in Europe. Ready for the Dakar. I will give you 1,000 euros if you can sell it for me over there.

-Mike