XR650 Suspension Question

Clearly there are allot of big guys that ride XR650s. I am 6'6", 245 and ride an XR650 set up for dual sport in So Cal, meaning I use it for anything and everything. I am considering replacing the springs myself and then working with the suspension settings and oil levels etc. to get the bike dialed in as opposed to taking it to a suspension shop and having them put new springs in along with a re-valve and the whole deal. I would be interested in hearing from others that have done this and any set-up tips, advice, etc. that would help. It seems that I should be able to put the heavier springs in and adjust the settings and make it work pretty well. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks, Rick

Clearly there are allot of big guys that ride XR650s. I am 6'6", 245 and ride an XR650 set up for dual sport in So Cal, meaning I use it for anything and everything. I am considering replacing the springs myself and then working with the suspension settings and oil levels etc. to get the bike dialed in as opposed to taking it to a suspension shop and having them put new springs in along with a re-valve and the whole deal. I would be interested in hearing from others that have done this and any set-up tips, advice, etc. that would help. It seems that I should be able to put the heavier springs in and adjust the settings and make it work pretty well. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks, Rick

Hey, Rick!

Bruce will chime in here some time today with links to his site and some very good advice. I did the springs / shim / valve work myself following his guidelines. Best thing I ever did!

Man, I wish I did suspensions for a living! With praise like that I wouldn't need advertizing :cry:

245 pound.......Trail rider going off up to 4 foot drop off's .47kg/mm fork springs and a 11kg/mm shock spring.

105mm from the top on the fork fluid.

For the rest like he said, I would............

Go to this site....

http://www.borynack.com/Bruce/XR650R/xr650r.htm

it's new and needs a lot of work but, has a lot of links to get you information quick. Spring charts, shim stacks and a little on why but,

I have some friends helping me with the editing on a new page on the problems in a why, what and what to do to fix it page...... :cry: