HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bvd

05 WR450F free mods & altitude...

8 posts in this topic

Hi all... I just picked up an 05 WR450F yesterday and was going to work on the free mods today... I have a couple questions...

If I am not in CA will my bike still have the smog crap (air pump)? How can I tell if mine has it?

Does yamaha ship these bikes with the same jetting no matter what part of the country they ship to? If I remove the exhaust insert and the air box snorkle and I live at ride above 6000' all the time do you think the jetting will be pretty close? Opening it all up should give it more air, which I would think it would need up here...

Any reccomendations on the grey wire and blue wire mods at my altitudes?

What do you all think...

-Bill

----------

05 WR450F

96 YZ250 - for sale

96 XR400 - for sale

My other ride is an 02 RV-8A! - www.rv8a.com

Air pump post link: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195476&highlight=pump

Also, the gray wire wakes up the ignition mapping from the cdi box. Gray wire = WR

Disconnect gray wire = YZ. Bottom line = disconnect it (for better performance).

Also, see this link for more mod info: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199514

Also, Thumper Talk has a helpful search engine that you can utilize for further research. Alot of the '05 topics are covered.

Thanks!

I guess the grey wire mod doesn't need jetting changes?

What do you know abot the "blue wire" mod?

Bill,

There is no blue wire mod that I know of. At your elevation you might be able to squeak by with the stock jetting and disconnecting the gray wire and maybe some fuel mix adjusting. If not, get the JD kit. Let us know. I'm riding Ouray in the spring and curious to how this works out for you.

I have the JD jet kit on order... Are there any guides to jetting these things?

Most of the time, the dealer will jet for altitude. Historically these bikes run a little lean. You've also got to take into account the temp. Just follow the instructions in the JD Kit and you'll be very happy! :cry:

By the way, congrats on the new ride.

Tom :cry: