YZ450F or WR450

I'm looking to buy a new bike, but can't decide between the YZ and the WR.

I do mostly rough (very rough) desert riding, but also like to hit the dunes, as well as the occasional MX track and catch some good air.

I've been riding a TRX450R 4-wheeler for the last 6 months, and while it was fun, it really beat the crap out of me in the rough desert trails. Too much side to side jarring.

I want something that can be soft on the rough stuff, but can still take 6+ feet of air on a flat landing, and can pull a wheelie in any gear, at any speed. Can the WR do all this, or would a YZ be better?

I've read on here that the WR is a really tamed down version of the YZ, is this true even of non-Cali models?

Also, what kind of forks did the '05 WR's get? I've read both AOSS and non-AOSS...Can anyone say for sure?

wr will do all that and then some. Plus top speed is at least 15 mph higher with the 5th gear. Trust me, you don't want a 4-speed bike for off-road, especially desert. Your whole body will fall asleep from the vibes. Get the wr.

So, what would it take to bottom out the suspension on the new '05? Has anyone pushed it that hard yet? Is it softer than the YZ suspension? How does it do in whoops compared to the YZ?

What kind of power differences are there between the WR and YZ?

Being from Boise I would go with a WR because of the diffrent areas you can ride. As for suspension I wouldn't worry about it because you can always change the spring rate for your riding style and weight. As for power I would guess they are pretty close to one another but the WR has a Wide Ratio tranny. It's way easier to make a WR into a YZ but way to much $$$$$$ to make a YZ into a WR..... ?

WR all the way ? I love the wide ratio trans with the fifth gear and low first, really love the headlight wich requires a stator for the yz. suspension can be set to fit you....yz time it and you will have loads of power... not sure but I think you have to changed the whole cam in the 450's ?

Go for the WR and remove the electric starter and battery to save weight, also change the rear plastic to YZ. I used to live in the Middle East and ran a YZ426. To get the top speed I wanted over the desert I had to change the sprockets to stop it screaming in top gear, but this proved a disadvantage for the steep dunes.

I now have a WR450F

... my view anyway..

Go for the WR and remove the electric starter and battery to save weight, also change the rear plastic to YZ. I used to live in the Middle East and ran a YZ426. To get the top speed I wanted over the desert I had to change the sprokets to stop it screaming in top gear, but this proved a disadvantage for the steep dunes.

I now have a WR450F

... my view anyway..

I'm just wondering, why change all the rear plastic to YZ? Personal choice? ?

I'm just wondering, why change all the rear plastic to YZ? Personal choice? ?

Some people are into the YZ appearance. I've had this question every since joining TT. I don't understand the concept of buying one thing and making it look like another thing. I understand making the YZ mods to the WR but I don't understand totally tranforming it to look like a YZ. To each thier own I guess, I'd like to make my Dodge Dakota look like a Ram 2500 now that I think about it.

Sox, this wasnt directed towards you just a general thought I have about the YZ thing. ?