Do you Pressue wash your Pig??

The reason I ask is I pressure washed mine for the first time after a ride last week. After, I started and ran for about 5 minutes to bake off water then rolled it away for the weekend ride. I loaded it and went to a race (goldendale GP) 3 hours away and never got it to start, therefore missing the race. I wan't to blame it on something, do you think I did some damage with the water? What are the do's and don'ts if I do use the pressure washer??? I don't know if I go electonics wet or if there is water in the Quick silver all I know is it won't start.

I presure wash just not on the stream setting I use the fan setting and not directly and one point for any length of time. never a problem, simple green the best hands down ??? just let it sit for 10 min. wash it off even smells purty :D:D?

I would go over all the electrical you defenitly got some moisture in there some where, but first take out the plug and see if yer getting spark then backtrack from there ?

How's yer right leg feel bet you kicked it at least 100 time's?:D??

Just something to check is the CDI box under the seat,the previous owner had allways degreased and pressure washed the bike.I had to regrease swingarm and headstock,renew rear master cylinder because the crud had been forced up past the boot and the degreaser had affected the alloy the piston was made out of, but the water under the seat check the connections on the box mine were covered in green vertigree which made bad contacts so clean with carby cleaner and apply electrical grease,fixed a mutitued of problems also easy to start and no surging mid range cruising.

Personal preference no pressure wash ditto simple green.

I take off all the plastic and the tank/seat. Pressure wash high pressure in some areas, fan in other areas. I am very very very carefull not to pressure wash at all where the steering stem or linkage bearings are.

I also take care with the electronics and avoid the can or plug it.

Another vote for simple green!

After i let it drip dry i hit the entire bike with WD40. Especially the carb, engine, chain bars,etc. Of course i avoid the breaks. But almost all the aluminum gets it. I then hit the plastic with a silicone enhancer. I hit the radiator hoses with a rubber protectant. 2-3 times a year i hit the scratched aluminum with 220 or finer sand paper on an orbital sander (especially the swing arm and guards) and then finish it with Mothers.

Bike has 30,000 very hard miles and looks like new. That might have something to do with the 5 engine rebuilds, 3 wheelsets, 6 fuel tanks, and countless new fenders its gotten!

The rubber protectant is from my BMW F650 Dakar days...its called Gummi-Pflege and you can get it at any beemer bike shop...green tube...works great on radiator hoses, tires, rubber mounts, etc....to shine up the plastic--try hitting the scratches with 220 then 400 grit sandpaper, then brush it with a heat gun for 3-5 seconds....finish everthing with Maxima SC1 silicone detailer--available at most bike shops.

The rubber protectant is from my BMW F650 Dakar days...its called Gummi-Pflege and you can get it at any beemer bike shop...green tube...works great on radiator hoses, tires, rubber mounts, etc....to shine up the plastic--try hitting the scratches with 220 then 400 grit sandpaper, then brush it with a heat gun for 3-5 seconds....finish everthing with Maxima SC1 silicone detailer--available at most bike shops.

Thanks Mike ?

• 3 years later...

I'm left over from high hp import cars and stay way away from pressure washers. (FI wiring harnesses dont like water)

Regular garden hose, some good small vinyl brushes, Simple Green and carb cleaner. Takes me maybe 30-45 minutes but she always shines after every weekend out.

As a fix, pull every plug and wire in the system. Clean it and liberally grease with a good dielectric lube. I love the stuff.

I like to use just a hose and oil eater (available via costco) and dawn dish washing soap and also a sos pd for tough spots. I have pressure washed in the past to get mud off, but the bike still retains a film of dirt so I hand wash again. I have also used EZ off oven cleaner on aluminum to brighten it up and it takes off hard caked / baked on oily mudddy spots.

My project 93 XR650L has a filthy rear linkage area that I will clean with the above methods, and it wil be not brand new lookin - but fresh! and then of course re-lubricate eveything. This 93 XR6560L has zerks in it :-)

Yes you can pressure wash that great big hunk of metal and plastic. I have a pressure washer that I use for my heavy equiptment that can go from 100 to 7500 pounds of pressure that will (on its very lowest pressure) do a great job of washing dirt, mud, grease, and just about any material stuck on it. Heres the problem....If you hit any seals with a pressure washer make absolutely positively sure that you regrease them!!!!!! I had to buy a complete rear hub set-up from pressure washing my XR and not greasing. Now I go to Cosco and buy the industrial size container of simple green and spray all over the bike and leave on for 15 or 20 mins. Then use regular hose pressure and "wow it looks new again.....well, better anyway" Simple Green is magic when it comes to cleaning anything dirty, and smells good too. Also very important is to have your bike running when you wash it down while hot, because metal has a tendancy to distort, crack, break,(you get the pic) when cold water hits hot metal. Other posters have made great suggestions as well. buz