Broken Bolt Right Foot Peg

I broke the bolt on the right foot peg (the one with a normal head). Luckly I caught it when it was loose and will trying to retorque it, it snapped. Apparently it was already cracked half way through. I was able to get the rest of the bolt out no problem, but because of my location - on vacation in Moab, I was only able to replace it with NAPA hardware. Got a grade 8 - the red ones. It seems to work fine, but am starting to question my logic. I went with the strongest (but doesn't this mean most brittle) bolt. Should I have gone with the weaker (but more likely to bend rather than break) bolt. Or should I just not worry about it (or get the shim kit)?

Is this something that goes wrong with all the BRP's out there? I have about 1700 miles logged and no issues, yet. However, I do recall replacing the foot-peg mount and the bolt was bent so I just replaced it with a stock one. Haven't had an issue yet. I just torque them up prior to every ride.

I just replaced my rear bolt too. I also used a hardened bolt and installed the shim kit. My rear bolt was previously slightly bent but removable. I bought a tap, cleaned the threads, installed the shim kit from SRC and loctited it up and torqued to 40 ft lbs. I called SRC-they reccommended using hardened bolts. The bolts fit much better in the footpeg bracket holes with the shim kit.

very common...WAY TOO COMMON... its a prob on the xr400 too.

The shim kit isnt going to fix it if you ride hard...thats why American Honda remachines those bosses flat, drills them through, sleeves them and runs a fabricated peg mount in double shear...

PM me if you want it fixed for good the right way.

The hole in the peg is 7/16...thats a .043 difference. Not only that the M10 cant support hard riding and thats why some people get lucky and find them bent before they are broken.

I think if they get lose is when you have a problem. I check mine out before I head out for the weekend. The first few times they were lose but now they are still tight every time. I just keep an eye on them to make sure they're tight and I haven't had any problems. I don't know about riding hard, but I don't baby it and I'm a BIG GUY.

Very common problem, and only one really good solution. Team Honda runs the Precision Concepts footpeg bracket (PC does build their bikes), which eliminates the problem. They offer them to the public for $150, or $120 with a core swap (your old bracket). I've been running the setup for some time, and it works great.

Very common problem, and only one really good solution. Team Honda runs the Precision Concepts footpeg bracket (PC does build their bikes), which eliminates the problem. They offer them to the public for $150, or $120 with a core swap (your old bracket). I've been running the setup for some time, and it works great.

DITTO....

Love mine too.

Easy to make if you're a competent welder/fabricator.

$130 I think it was in total with a core.

I hear you can find better ones for $75...not a piece of angle iron hacked up and welded to another piece! Those who own the the PC piece can vouch for the unprecion ness of the piece! But it does get the job done..

American Honda uses a bit more frame mod in addition to that piece.

I went with the strongest (but doesn't this mean most brittle) bolt. Should I have gone with the weaker (but more likely to bend rather than break) bolt.

A weaker grade bolt will bend AND break before the grade 8 bolt does either. It is my understanding that, yes, a grade 8 bolt, being harder, will have a smaller plastic, or bending, stage. But this stage is reached long after both plasitc and yield stages are reached on a lower carbon steel bolt, meaning your grade 8 bolt will put up with much more abuse than a cheap bolt would. All of which is moot, of course, if you upgrade to the aftermarket parts...

Has anyone tried getting Honda to cover this footpeg repair under warranty? Seems like there is plenty of evidence out there to support this. I am surprized noone has sued Honda for injury as a result of failure.

Has anyone tried getting Honda to cover this footpeg repair under warranty? Seems like there is plenty of evidence out there to support this. I am surprized noone has sued Honda for injury as a result of failure.

If your still under warrantee when it happens it is covered. Also if the frame get ruined they have to replace that too. Only a bad dealer would not support you in this. Thats why I purchase the extended warrantee for a total of 4 years. I know one fellow who had the frame replaced twice at no cost to him, because of stress cracks at one of the welds.

So they will wait for you to get injured before they fix it, but they won't fix it before it breaks? I think I am going to try to get them to fix it over the winter. I will print out all the old threads as evidence. We shall see what happens. I have 3 years on top of the original 6 month warranty.

I bought the four year too Salty. Let me know how you make out.

You guys are lucky...in the UK we get a 3 month warranty with no option to extend....!!!

I hear you can find better ones for $75...not a piece of angle iron hacked up and welded to another piece! Those who own the the PC piece can vouch for the unprecion ness of the piece! But it does get the job done..

American Honda uses a bit more frame mod in addition to that piece.

:cry:

Wasn't someone like ... uhhh, making this instead of people buying the PC or Summit?? Hmmmm :cry:

I saw the market too... but didn't want to step on my local guys (PC) toes. They've done me well, so I paid my $130 and now enjoy my stress relief! :cry: