Woodruff key shearing?

New to the site. Need help! I hava a 2003 wr450 with about 50 hours on it. The first time i took it out it broke down due to the woodruff key shearing and was repaired under warranty. The update for the problem was to torque the flywheel(rotor)nut to 61 lbs and use locktite. It happened to me again only this time it also broke the engine side cover when it backfired because it again was out of timing with the ignition. Do I need to sell this bike because it has become unrelaible or is there a legitimate fix for this problem? (I had to abandon the bike in Jawbone in the woods and hike out for 5 hours, order parts, and retreive the bike a week later! Does anyone have any input? :cry::cry::cry:

Do a search, you can put in 04 parts which stops the key from shearing.

My 03 left me stranded as did many others.

I have put on lots of miles after upgrading.

Wow. The carnage continues. Its to bad Yamaha didnt do a better job of gettin the word out or you bought the bike from someone who just dont care. There are tons of us that have been the same route but now have great and dependable bikes. There are some experts here that can help you upgrade to 04 specs or you can just lose the idler gear and kick it.

Another woodruff victim. Yamaha support really sucked when the truth came out too. If the WR450 wasn't so much fun to ride, and otherwise pretty solid, may have gone orange or yellow by now.

I just purchased the 04 starter upgrade parts pretty cheap from this place:

http://www.zanottimotor.com/

Gathering up some current info right now before installing them.

Upgrade to the 04 parts and ride. Its an awesome bike besides the starter design flaw.

How much for the upgraded parts, if you dont mind me asking. I need to make the upgrade as well, thanks Stinson

Finally someone got the message about Zanotti's...they have the best online prices I have found, including Bike Bandit and several other sites!

Just email them the part #s and John or John will send a quote back quickly.... :cry:

How much for the upgraded parts, if you dont mind me asking. I need to make the upgrade as well, thanks Stinson

Depending on where you get them from and if you skip the side cover and go with the bushing only you should come in around $200-$250. WELL worth the upgrade! :cry:

How hard is it to press out the old bushing and press in the new one? Thanks for the info guys. Cya Stinson

Depending on where you get them from and if you skip the side cover and go with the bushing only you should come in around $200-$250. WELL worth the upgrade! :cry:

I paid $198 from my local Yamaha shop. Got them at cost because I bought the bike from them and prob'ly spend over $10k/year there....it's prob'ly the only time they were cheaper than Zanotti's!

How hard is it to press out the old bushing and press in the new one? Thanks for the info guys. Cya Stinson

There is no bushing in the 03 side cover so pressing in the bushing is a breeze (from what I hear...I bought the side cover before it was discovered that you could buy the bushing stand alone.) :cry:

Here the pricing info from Zanotti:

04 Left Side Case Part # 5TJ-15411-10-00 retail $ 96.10 your price $ 61.50

04 Torque Limiter Part # 5TJ-15560-00-00 retail $ 213.08 your price $ 136.37

04 Torque Limiter Cover Part # 5TJ-1549B-00-00 retail $ 30.08 your price $ 19.25

04 Thrust washers (need 2) Part# 90201-105A8-00 retail $ 3.58 your price $ 4.50 for (2)

Gasket for side cover Part # 5TJ-15451-00-00 retail $ 4.21 your price $ 2.46

Shipping approx. $ 10 - $ 12 to Socal

Did not order the first item yet. When I get it apart a see if the 03 side case cover is cracked. I will then order the 04 cover if needed.