HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pothole

Getting a Steering Stabilizer....bugged out by mounting options

8 posts in this topic

So I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on here. I want to go with a GPR stabilizer. I'm currently running the stock '99 YZ400 top clamp, with a Renthal 1-1/8" fat bar with those post mount adapters that go on top of the non-removable bottom 7/8" bar clamp. If you're with me so far, then cool. So, my questions are:

1. Do I need to change out my triple clamp?

2. Is there a problem with me running those post-mount fat bar adapters on the 7/8" triple clamp (flex,strength,etc.)?

3. GPR says I need to have a triple clamp that has removeable bottom bar clamp in order to use a 1-1/8" bar, is this true?

Any ideas? Obviously the best option would be to get a trick triple clamp, go with the newest version of the GPR and be done, but I'm trying to stay in the $350 range on this item.

So I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on here. I want to go with a GPR stabilizer. I'm currently running the stock '99 YZ400 top clamp, with a Renthal 1-1/8" fat bar with those post mount adapters that go on top of the non-removable bottom 7/8" bar clamp. If you're with me so far, then cool. So, my questions are:

1. Do I need to change out my triple clamp?

2. Is there a problem with me running those post-mount fat bar adapters on the 7/8" triple clamp (flex,strength,etc.)?

3. GPR says I need to have a triple clamp that has removeable bottom bar clamp in order to use a 1-1/8" bar, is this true?

Any ideas? Obviously the best option would be to get a trick triple clamp, go with the newest version of the GPR and be done, but I'm trying to stay in the $350 range on this item.

I never stop wondering why Yamaha still has the upper tripleclamp with firm bar mounts. They suck.

I would go for a BRP sub mount adapter and a Scotts stabilizer, but have to get a new clamp to do so.

Just got the sub mount and new tower for my friend's KTM 400 EXC 2005. It allows him to use the bar pad too. I can only recommend Scotts and BRP, Cameron Brewer at BRP gave the best customer service ever.

The package with the mount, clamp, tower and stabilizer will cost you much more than $350 though.

http://www.brpit.com/pages/products/sub_mount.html

http://www.brpit.com/images/prod_images/sub_mount/sub_mount_brp_full.jpg

The BRP looks like an awesome setup, but are they available for Yamaha 's yet? I use a Scotts on my 426, with the Scotts upper triple clamp. Under the bars would be nice, but I live with it. Just don't hit your face on the thing, tends to hurt!