HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest BrandonV

YZ426 gearing recomendations, desert/trail rider

6 posts in this topic

Looking for gearing recomendations for my 426. I mostly ride on the So Cal foothills nad deserts, no MX and no need for super high-speed.

I bought it used and I think it has 14/52 gearing now, which revs out too quickly. Would 14/51 or 14/50 make a noticable distance in regards to revving out longer?

How many link chain would I need also?

thanks!

14/50 is a good COMPROMISE (note the emphassis) between dez and mountain :cry:

I used to do alot of riding in So. Cal and i found for trails my best setup was 15/49...plenty fast for those LONG fireroads, but still had plenty of power to bring the front end up in every gear if the situation called for it. 14/49/50/51 just wasnt enough gear for me at all...great for faster MX tracks though.

I found 15/49 too tall for mountain riding - too much clutch use for tight stuff. I got tired of changing sprockets, especially as I go out about once per week. Hence my 14/50 compromise. Definitely not ideal, but a liveable compromise.

I go Dune, MX, Trail, with a 14-49 and love it...... I don't mind using my clutch, it's good practice.... You will need a 520 Chain and I think 118 link, or just get the 120 and snap off the excess...

Thank you for your input.... I ended up getting 14/50 and a DID x-ring last night.

I've been running 14/52 and its too much gear for my riding preference, so hopdfully this will suit me better.

Thanks!