HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moondogger

What Type of Coolant?

10 posts in this topic

Sure you can. ZipTy Racing sells some new type of coolant that is supposed to protect against boil over much better than conventional coolants. I think I'm going to buy some since my 'o5 WR just boiled over after 5 minutes of idling while adjusting the fuel mixture screw

Seabass,

The same thing happened to me yesterday, my 05 WR450 boiled over after a 5-7 min. of idling. I think the 05's run a bit lean, causing a hotter engine.

PSDCOOL,

You can tell it's over-heating when coolant starts spurting out the escape tube at the bottom of the bike.

Can I use automotive pre-mixed coolant in my WR450 or do I need a special type?

OK, I'm not plugging superior Toyota coolant (ok, maybe a little :cry:) but they have a special type that contains no silicates or borates. Ideal for protection against corrosion (great for aluminum) and water pump seal(s). They have had LLC (super long life coolant) which is red and you must it with water, but use distilled water for peak performance. Now they have come up with SLLC (super long life coolant) and its already premixed at 50/50, and you just pour it in straight. Its pink in color, while the LLC is red in color. Usually coolant doesnt stay long enough in a bike to cause corrosion from electrolysis, but the water pump seal is another issue. If you go with another type, make sure it has no silicates and secondly no borates. Avoid silicates most of all!!! :cry: Its all I use, but I get a good deal on it! :cry: :cry: So if you see a WR450F with some sissy pink coolant, its me!

OK, I'm not plugging superior Toyota coolant (ok, maybe a little :cry:) but they have a special type that contains no silicates or borates. Ideal for protection against corrosion (great for aluminum) and water pump seal(s). They have had LLC (super long life coolant) which is red and you must it with water, but use distilled water for peak performance. Now they have come up with SLLC (super long life coolant) and its already premixed at 50/50, and you just pour it in straight. Its pink in color, while the LLC is red in color. Usually coolant doesnt stay long enough in a bike to cause corrosion from electrolysis, but the water pump seal is another issue.

I worked at a shop dedicated to 80 series Cruisers for a time. Most of the 80 series running LLC we saw had major gunk in the radiator to the point of being plugged up. It appears the LLC is eating away at the hoses. After rebuilding the engine in my Land Cruiser (turbo + lean injector = blown motor) I went with Prestone. At the time I figured I would rather have a little wear on the water pump than another plugged up radiator.

The moral is probably more about replacing the radiator fluid more frequently than Toyota recommends for the LLC. Personally, I would replace the fluid every year or two no matter what fluid is being used.

I've just started using Engine Ice and it seems to be working pretty good. I have quite a few friends that have KTM's with overheating problems in the tight and twisty's, they all switched to Engine Ice and it helped out quite a bit. It is also supposed to be enviro friendly.