How do you start your XR650R when it's cold?

Hi all, I just bought a used BRP today and need to know how to start the thing. I kick and kick and kick and it eventually starts but it takes forever. What do you guys do? I only weigh 150lbs and I have to jump on the thing with all my weight to start it. I could use some advice on how to start it properly. Do you turn up the idle screw? do you give it gas?, full choke? I would like to know how each of you cold starts you BRP. Thanks.

myxr.jpg

Hi all, I just bought a used BRP today and need to know how to start the thing. I kick and kick and kick and it eventually starts but it takes forever. What do you guys do? I only weigh 150lbs and I have to jump on the thing with all my weight to start it. I could use some advice on how to start it properly. Do you turn up the idle screw? do you give it gas?, full choke? I would like to know how each of you cold starts you BRP. Thanks.

myxr.jpg

I weight 160lbs and kicking is not that bad. I think i have gotten way better at it. Starting it when its cold, when the temps are like 30 degrees is a bit harder. What I usually do is pull the decompression lever, and then kick 10 times with it. No throttle.

Release the decompressor lever, and kick it again.

If you let it drop, and it floods. The way to get it started it hold the decompression lever, hold the throttle wide open, kick 10 times. Let go of the throttle, and decompression lever. Then kick. It should fire right up.

WHen I install a new sparkplug, it really fires up easier.

Edit...it took me to long to write this so it may be a little redundant.

It's Been awhile Because That was in my Pre-Edelbrock days But I think I can help.

1. Hold kill button, decompression in and full throttle

2. moderately kick the bike 3-4 times

3. release everything and slowly push kick-starter through until it gets most resistance (compression stroke) pull decompress and barely kick so its at top of downward compression.

4.hold front brake so you don't give any throttle and give it all the lead in yer britiches kick.

it may take a couple of tries since its new to you. You can kick a few times between each cycle but you'll have to do the whole routine afterwards.

once you have it 2 cycles would be average when it's cold out.

as far as choke 1/2 was good for me. full would flood it but you'll have to see what works with your jetting.

get an edelbrock in the future b/c as soon as you dump it on the trail you'll wish you had it.

I'm sure others can give some other pointers.

enjoy

JT

When the stock carb is jetted properly, it should start 1st or 2nd kick after it is warm. But you must follow the procedure for starting it or you will work way toooooooo much.

JT is right on for the most part.

1. Never give it any gas to start it if the bike has the stock carb. If you give it gas it will flood immediately.

2. If it's cold out or it hasn't been started for a few weeks. Pull the mannal decompression lever and hold the kill switch down. Now while your doing those two things kick the bike over 6 to 10 times. Some folks like to hold the throttle wide open while their doing this. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything to hold the throttle wide open until you finish the 6 to 10 kicks.

3. Put the choke on half way or full. It is a three position choke. (1)full off 2)half on 3)full on) It varies from bike to bike as to if half choke or full choke will work best. Experiment. After the bike is warm you do not need to turn the choke on. Also turning the idle up can also help if it is cold.

4. Kick the kick starter down (easy does it your not trying to start it yet) until it flat stops your leg. Now pull the decompression lever and gently kick the kick start past the hard spot, about 1 inch is all it takes.

5. Now let the kick starter rachet back to the top. Ok, now kick it hard completely through it's stroke. The bike should not be all that hard to kick and it should start.

If it doesn't repeat steps 4 & 5 until it starts.

If it still doesn't start it may be flooded. If that is the case.

1) Pull the decompression lever, hold the kill switch down, open the throttle wide open and hold it. Now kick the bike over 6 to 10 times. That clears the excess fuel from the cylinder. Now repeat steps 4 and 5. It should start and you will not wear your leg out following these procedures.

cold I go half choke...kick it through a few times with decompressor, let of decompressor until it hits the HARD spot, pull decompressor and push kick start about 1/3 and then bring back up and take hand off decomp give it a few twists and then push the starter all the way through...

this isnt a 2 smoke...you push it...DONT SLAP IT.

If you drop it while on a ride...pick it up, crack the throttle wide open, get it to top dead center then decomp 1/3 kick bring it back up with the throttle still wacked open and kick it...should fire up first kick no matter if it was upside down, off a cliff, whatever.

If team honda uses a stock carb...its good enough if jetted properly.

Yea Oldmantime is correct...No throttle when its been sitting...I'm getting them all confused...You do give some throttle before kicking it when its dumped on a trail.... With the Edelbrock...all you do it give 2 turns of the throttle to give a couple of pumps of fuel in then kick it w/out throttle...Sorry for the confusion.

As for the Edelbrock...it has other benifits beyond starting which is much easier.

but its easier to start if dumped on a hill and many times may still be running when it is laid over.

But b/c its a pumper carb it has NO hesitation on low end so if you snap the throttle it all goes to the tire! I got it b/c with my Big-Gun Race series pipe took away from low-end but improved high end so it didn't have the snap and that I liked. Now with the edelbrock I've tried the stock pipe and drilled tip again and the low end snap is almost NO DIFFERENT than with the BigGun! So I love it for that as well!

Just a thought to keep in mind.

Thanks guys, all that info helped. Kicking it over a few times with the Decomp is the trick for cold starts. And I will definetly remember to use that method when I stall it someday in the trails.

One more thing, I noticed that when I crack the throttle of idle, the bike hesitates or stalls. Is that why you guys are buying carbs? Or is this just a simple tune up problem. I also noticed that when I rev it up, its puffs blue smoke. I hope the rings or valves aren't worn.

Thanks all you guys for making this site so informative, your response and time is greatly appreciated. Oh! and the response time is excellent.

Jeff

My bike was hesitating when I cracked the throttle from an idle....Sometimes it would even die if I yanked it hard enough..A mechanic told me it was because it was leaned out..Definately a carb/fuel issue..watch your engine temp...A lean engine can get hot really fast on a long run....

Correct...once uncorked temperature isn't an issue. Maybe a higher pressure radiator cap is the most you'd need. If your mixture is correct it won't run too hot. I think I read on another post about a problem overheating but it was b/c of airbox open and exhaust open but hadn't uncorked the jets yet so that leaned out the mixture which causes it to run real hot. So do it all at once...and you won't have to worry about the mixture in-between.

Mine's uncorked with stock radiator cap and it'll sit and idle w/out overheating and I ride woods.

JT

How fitting to see this post. I too just picked up an '02 yesterday (bone stock). Me and the owner tried repeatedly to get it to start. We kicked for a 1/2 hour and nothing happened but a little glow from the front light. He's only ridden it 3x and it has been sitting for 6 mos. I pulled the plug and it was black as night. Gonna buy a new plug today and give it a few more kicks. The deal is not done until the bike starts, but I can tell it's gonna be 100% by looking at it (still has the tiny mold nipples on the front tire!). If anyone can add anything beyond what has been mentioned....I'm all ears.

Pull comopression release in and kick thru 10 times. Open gas, full choke, twist throttle three times and then leave it alone. Find top dead center and whap it. Should start in 1st three kicks. Leave throttle alone until choke is turned off. Takes a couple minutes to warm up.

How fitting to see this post. I too just picked up an '02 yesterday (bone stock). Me and the owner tried repeatedly to get it to start. We kicked for a 1/2 hour and nothing happened but a little glow from the front light. He's only ridden it 3x and it has been sitting for 6 mos. I pulled the plug and it was black as night. Gonna buy a new plug today and give it a few more kicks. The deal is not done until the bike starts, but I can tell it's gonna be 100% by looking at it (still has the tiny mold nipples on the front tire!). If anyone can add anything beyond what has been mentioned....I'm all ears.

Two things,

1)If it is bone stock it will flood much easier and it will be a little more difficult to start. But if ya follow directions given on this thread it will start with out a great deal of effort. Sounds like the owner is not familiar with the XR650R.

2) After it is uncorked it will start even easier.

If it is as unused as you think and he is giving you a good price, go for it.

If it is as unused as you think and he is giving you a good price, go for it.

It looks as if this is the case. Externally it is VERY clean. But used means no real history and that never sits well. The sooner I can hear that motor the sooner it will likely be mine. I am feeling comfortable with the deal....$3200. I am sure it is just a simple matter of learning how to kick the beast.