HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ddialogue

The Flat Tire Gremlin strikes again!!

19 posts in this topic

I have the worst luck lately. Flat tire after flat tire. I'm getting good at changing them so I guess that's a plus. :cry:

So, I'm out in the desert this morning busting down this beautiful sand wash with some rocks in it and all of a sudden, I notice my rear tire is flat. Great. Checked for slices and found none so I figured I had pinched it. I get the tire off and what do I find? The valve stem had completely separated from the tube! I have never seen this happen and am baffled as to why. This was a brand new tube in a brand new tire.

So, I'm asking my fellow TTer's to check out the photo and give me an explanation!

Brand new D606 rear tire.

Brand new Fly 4mm HD tube running 14psi.

Both rim locks were tight.

I always leave one nut on the inside of the rim and one on the outside (on the valve stem) to keep from pulling the stem out of the tube. Didn't work too well this time, though. :cry:

badtube.jpg

Usually if the rim locks get loose the movement of the tire could cause the stem to seperate. Was the stem facing the center of the hub (not crooked)?

Just stop doing so many Wheelies! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Dave go out and buy Bridgestone Ultra Heavy tubes. Use duct tape on the inside of the rim. No nut on the inside! Check your rim locks for sharp spots. Lube the tube completely with heavy grease. Install the tube at the valve first. then the tire on the rim starting at the valve. Leave the tube out everywhere else. Mount tire on one side. Then slide the tube in postion in the tire. Mount the last side of the tire. HD tubes will walk without lube and even with rim locks the relative flex between the tire and tube can cause it to walk around the rim and tear off at the valve. Believe it or not baby powder does not do as good a job as heavy grease on the tube! :cry:

I don't think I've ever seen a stem do that :cry:

:cry: Ever thought about Tire Balls? no valve stem to rip out, and I'm sure Indy would help you lube them to put them in right :cry:

If you don't like that idea and your luck continues you should see if you can get a discount for buying tires and tubes in large amounts? Hopefully you can :cry: the tire gremlin and with all your experience from this you should be able to do a good write-up on tire repair :cry:

I don't think I've ever seen a stem do that :cry:

:cry: Ever thought about Tire Balls? no valve stem to rip out, and I'm sure Indy would help you lube them to put them in right :cry:

:cry::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bart you are killing me. :lol:

I think I will send Dave a Christmas present a can of pure silicone lube with a custom label " Gremlin Buster ". :cry:

I leave the valve stem outside nut off. Your tire had to have slipped on the rim and pulled the stem off.

It happens.

I'd say your tire moved on the rim. I know you said they were tight but I'm not sure what else would do that to a tube. I always run the MSR Ultra Heavy Duty tubes with 16-17 lbs. and have had no more flats.

i know your not new to this but i thought i'd throw out some stuff anyway. if you leave the nut on the stem outside of the rim, back it off about half way. get a rat-tail file and open up the hole in the rim. not only does it give the stem a little room to move, you can see if it's moved before the tube is damaged. i like to put a little silicone seal around the hole to keep the mud out.

Thank you all, my WR Bruthas, for the very good tips! I will be changing the way I do things.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

If the nut on the outside(on the valve stem) was turned down tight against the rim it'll cause that. I always tighten the nut up against the valve cap, never had a stem pull out. I have seen it happen before with the nut tightened down on the rim....

Got into the habit of using it to lock the caps after losing both valve caps in Baja.....to the kids.....

Usually if the rim locks get loose the movement of the tire could cause the stem to seperate. Was the stem facing the center of the hub (not crooked)?

that is what i would have guessed

I don't think I've ever seen a stem do that :lol:

:lol: Ever thought about Tire Balls? no valve stem to rip out, and I'm sure Indy would help you lube them to put them in right :lol:

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Bart you are killing me. :lol:

I think I will send Dave a Christmas present a can of pure silicone lube with a custom label " Gremlin Buster ". :lol:

That ain't me. :lol:

So how do you really feel about the tire balls Indy. Do you like them or not? They sure do take a long time when changing a tire.

p.s. I don't have a WR so I can't be one of your WR brothas. Sorry

:lol:

I found that the tire balls cant hold up to high speed riding or having the tires mounted longer than a weekend of riding. I am back on Bridgestone Ultra Heavy duty tubes for now. I think they make more sense for weekend racers then us weekend riders. They are working on cheaper balls right now and should be able to do a set of wheels for $300. in the near future! Still to experimental for me to trust for my kind of riding. Grease that Ultra HD tube and that seems to be the best thing we can run for now. :cry:

I found that the tire balls cant hold up to high speed riding or having the tires mounted longer than a weekend of riding. I am back on Bridgestone Ultra Heavy duty tubes for now. I think they make more sense for weekend racers then us weekend riders. They are working on cheaper balls right now and should be able to do a set of wheels for $300. in the near future! Still to experimental for me to trust for my kind of riding. Grease that Ultra HD tube and that seems to be the best thing we can run for now. :cry:

So will you be using tire balls at Moab in March?

Why would you grease your tube? :cry:

I might use them on the front tire since they held up OK on our last ride. I am staying with tubes on the rear! :cry:

It's the Curse of Brad. That will teach you not to change a tire for a rookie in need.

Hi guys. I didn't fall off the face of the earth, I just fell off my bike. I wanted to thank all of you for some fantastic riding and fantastic friendship. I have had to obtain a new username and new computer. But, now I am back in circulation. Did Landon get a new seatcover? Hope to ride with all of you again soon.

Bruce

Glad to finally here you are back Bruce. :cry: I got to hook up with you next summer in Idaho. :cry: I am hoping to ride a few days with you and Brad and some with Dave Dialogue to make it a worthwhile week of riding next summer. :cry:

I might use them on the front tire since they held up OK on our last ride. I am staying with tubes on the rear! :cry:

Why use tire balls in the front only? :cry: