changing oil

I always change my oil on anything I own while being warm. First time I went to change the oil on the WR I took out the frame drain plug and oil shot two feet into the front wheel!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrr ?

Here is my thinking on changing oil. I always used to change my oil when something was warm, thinking exactly what has been said already, drians quicker when warm, TRUE.

But then one time I tried something different, I was thinking one day that when you warm up the bike to change the oil the oil system pumps oil everywhere throughout the engine, right? Right.

But if you let the bike sit for a couple of days most of the oil comes back down to the bottom of the engine, it may drian slower when cold but you get more out after it sits. The reason I know this was because I have tried this theroy many times. I have changed my oil half a dozen different times, each time measuring how much oil I put in during an oil change. Then I would drain the oil after a ride and measure it again, each time I drained it cold I got anywhere from 25 to 50cc more oil out when it was cold.

Granted it did take longer but all of the oil had a chance to drain back down to the bottom of the frame tube and cases.

Those are my observations.

P.S. Plus it's nicer to the neighbors when you realize at 11 o'clock the night before you go riding you have to change your oil. ?

If you want to be a real nitpicker drain the oil warm and let it sit there overnight.

When you change the oil hot all the crap is in suspension not sitting somewhere where it will stay and not end up in the drain pan.

Here is my thinking on changing oil. I always used to change my oil when something was warm, thinking exactly what has been said already, drians quicker when warm, TRUE.

But then one time I tried something different, I was thinking one day that when you warm up the bike to change the oil the oil system pumps oil everywhere throughout the engine, right? Right.

But if you let the bike sit for a couple of days most of the oil comes back down to the bottom of the engine, it may drian slower when cold but you get more out after it sits. The reason I know this was because I have tried this theroy many times. I have changed my oil half a dozen different times, each time measuring how much oil I put in during an oil change. Then I would drain the oil after a ride and measure it again, each time I drained it cold I got anywhere from 25 to 50cc more oil out when it was cold.

Granted it did take longer but all of the oil had a chance to drain back down to the bottom of the frame tube and cases.

Those are my observations.

P.S. Plus it's nicer to the neighbors when you realize at 11 o'clock the night before you go riding you have to change your oil. ?

I totally agree on your oil changing method

I have always thought that there were two reasons for changing the oil after warming the engine. First, warming the engine coats the engine with fresh oil. Second, warm oil will drain quicker. The main goal here is to cause the least amount of wear on your engine when starting a freshly oil-changed engine. There will be a small amount of time after starting the engine (after changing the oil) when parts of the motor are not getting oil. By having a fresh coat of oil on the components prior to changing the oil, those parts of the motor are better protected. Admittedly, this affects automobile engines more than most small motorcycle engines but it's still worth doing IMO.

This is sort of a thread hijack-sorry. I bought my WR426 used and I don't have the manual. I'm changing the oil per the instructions on the Thumperfaq. Does the oil filter have a gasket on both ends, or just on the outside? The Thumperfaq is for the 250 so I figure it may be different. I just took the filter out and there is only a gasket on the outside, not on the inner side (and it isn't in the cavity either). ?

I change mine cold, just let it drain longer to get it all out. Plus, all the oil has drained to the bottom sump, and you dont have to drain the frame tank. Just one less oil plug to unscrew and possibly cross thread. IMO.