Odometer on xr650r

I've been looking at ads for the xr650r and I’ve noticed some advertise mileage. I know it has a resetable odometer but does it keep a permanent record of the total mileage for the bike?

Thanks

Tobin

A lot of guys including myself have added an aftermarket speedometer/odometer. I put the speedometer on after about 1000 miles. I know how many miles were on my first XR650 because I ride regualarly and we always check the length of the trips. I was able to add the approximate mileage over the year based on this. For that first bike it was over 5000 miles in a three year period. No problems with the bike and as far as I know the new owner has had no problem. I changed oil every three or four months and adjusted valves every four to six months and even then they sometimes didn't need any adjustments. The air filter needs cleaning quite often.

I know a fellow who races for Honda and was told that his personal bike had 27000 miles on it and never had the head off. I think he has now switched to the CRF450 but he ain't gonna get 27000 miles on one of them. At least not with a considerable amount of maintainence.

No, the XR650R does not keep a permanent record of mileage.

A lot of people install aftermarket odometers which do keep track of total mileage. Some people selling their bikes just guess at it.

I keep track of my mileage by keeping a log of it, before it turns back over to zero. My bike has an older honda oem speedo/odo on it, but doesn't register past two digits on mileage.

LL.

'00XR650R/uncorked/jetted/street legal