HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dodge03

piston rattle

2 posts in this topic

here is one 4 ya. i have started to notice a rattle at low rpm's like coming out of a corner just when i turn the throttle slow and steady. it does not make the noise if i rap down hard on it when racing just when i'm goin slow. this is a new sound to me on this bike is it normal engine wear like piston slap or can it be because of the high compression at low revs. by the way i am riding a 03 450

It is probably chain slap, although you should get some of that at heavy throttle at low rpm's, too. I'ts 3 times as long between power strokes (a turn and a half instead of a half) on a four stroke compared to a two stroke, so the power flow is pretty choppy at low speeds. Makes the chain slap the slider pretty hard.

The gearbox can be a bit noisey going slow for the same reason.