HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
volk

Rocky/slick downhills...problems!

5 posts in this topic

I am trying to adjust to my XR600R, but the one area I am really strugling with is downhills, especially when rocks or anything mildly slick is involved. I live in Colorado, so I run into these conditions at regular intervals...I am starting to look pretty battered at this point.

I feel as though there isn't enough brake to slow the beast down. I am also unable to get the bike to track in a straight line downhill. I always wind up sliding the rear out and to my right, which always puts me completely out of position for any switchbacks. While my rear tire isn't great, it should be able to grip much better than it is now. I am not just laying on the rear brake here. I am wondering if I am in the wrong position on the bike or am unable to preload the suspension enough or what??? I am getting tired of falling though. I haven't fallen this much in years.

Any advice on slowing the beast down on this kind of terrain?

Just try and get as much of your weight over the rear wheel as possible. Take a look at mountain bikers. On downhills they are literally laying their stomachs on the seat to weight that rear as much as possible. The front wheel should just track over the terrain and little braking up front should be used. If you encounter an obstacle with the front brakes on you will likely endo over. With wieght over the rear, you will allow that front end to track more easily. I use a pulsating braking method but the rear is used much more liberally. Have faith in the suspension.

Get your weight far back and SQUEEZE the bike with your legs. While you want to get your weight very far back, you don't want to lock your arms. You want to be able to move back even further if need be so all your weight doesn't transfer to your front wheel if it drops into a hole or hits a rock. Don't sit down no matter how nervous you get!!!!

like said above, i also like to use tyhe motor to slow me some. Have the bike in a lower gear and use the clutch to ease engine braking in and out as required.

Mitch

Get your weight far back and SQUEEZE the bike with your legs. While you want to get your weight very far back, you don't want to lock your arms. You want to be able to move back even further if need be so all your weight doesn't transfer to your front wheel if it drops into a hole or hits a rock. Don't sit down no matter how nervous you get!!!!

I think this is my problem. I find that I have to lock my arms to get back on the bike at all. I think my bars are too far forward and need to have more bend...they are preventing me from getting back far enough. I am only 5'9" and my arms aren't all that long. I have NEVER had this problem on my CR250, so I think this might be it. Any thoughts?