YZ vs WR

It's time for a thumper. The problem is that its going to be my only bike for a while. I am going to use it for local fire roads and the motocross track. Which ever one I get, I will buy the Baja Designs kit and try to plate it. Here is the question: Should I get the WR because it has an extra gear and will be better for trail and road riding? Will I be able to put moto plastic on it and ride around a track and jump..ect? Or should I get the YZ because I don't want to go that fast on the road anyway? I will be using it about 50-50 for the track and trails. I'm not going to compete--just play. Thanks.

-Chris

The YZ is lighter, faster, has firmer suspension, and depending on what sort of trail riding you do, and which year model you have, doesn't really take much to make it fit for that. Mostly a heavier flywheel on the earlier ones.

The WR has a wider spread from low to 5th (and actually has a 5th), has that lovely little button on the handlebars, and is set up to operate in some seriously foul conditions. Its weight and soft suspension might be a bigger liabilty on the track than the YZ's bad attitude is on the trail, I don't know. You can get 10-12lbs of of a WR without a drill or a saw, but you might not want to.

Obviously, it will be best if you can try them both out. I ride my YZF a lot more for fun than in races anymore, and it suits me fine in both places.

If you do get a WR, you HAVE TO do this: run up on somebody on an MX track going into a turn and blow the horn at him. Did that on a friend's KTM once, easiest pass I ever made. ?

The WR 450F is TOP heavy

...mine isn't :Dweighs pretty much the same as a yz now, although i don't know what a yz really weighs wet w/out gas stock,has anybody weighed theirs? i've got mine down to 248 w/out gas but 8 lbs of that is add ons so i would expect it to be almost 240?

The YZ is lighter, faster, has firmer suspension, and depending on what sort of trail riding you do, and which year model you have, doesn't really take much to make it fit for that. Mostly a heavier flywheel on the earlier ones.

The WR has a wider spread from low to 5th (and actually has a 5th), has that lovely little button on the handlebars, and is set up to operate in some seriously foul conditions. Its weight and soft suspension might be a bigger liabilty on the track than the YZ's bad attitude is on the trail, I don't know. You can get 10-12lbs of of a WR without a drill or a saw, but you might not want to.

Obviously, it will be best if you can try them both out. I ride my YZF a lot more for fun than in races anymore, and it suits me fine in both places.

Ditto,

IMO, The YZ is the better choice in this situation but if you get into serious trail riding you will need to make some modifications to make it a better trail bike.

I went to Moab with my YZ426F and rode with 9 other WR's. At the end of each day I was wishing I had electric start, a fly wheel, a wider spread of gearing ( eventhough I had 5 gears ), a kickstand and softer suspension. We rode the toughest trails Moab has to offer but the YZ made it. When I got home I rode on a local track and I was glad to have the light weight and stiff suspension. The YZ is good middle ground for both types of riding. IMO.

the new yz's are 217 lbs dry. the older ones are about 225 lbs. the WR is heavier. i would go with the yz.

weigh an 04 yz 450 wet without gas and i'll bet its around 240! yamahas dry weight claims are without tires! dry weight on my wr was 247 according to yam. it was really 263 in stock trim wet w/out gas. mine is now right at what they claimed only because of serious weight reduction. i removed and replaced various things and reduced it by 25 lbs and have added 8 lbs of extras(tires were 3 lbs heavier)but what i'm sayin is if those #'s were correct from yamaha,then my bike should only weigh 230 ?

...dry weight on my wr was 247 according to yam. it was really 263 in stock trim wet w/out gas. mine is now right at what they claimed only because of serious weight reduction...

dang, you know what that means? my bike was supposed to be 250 #'s stock, but ive added about 4 pounds too. my bike must wiegh 270 pounds! ??

maybe it is time to upgrade. ?

yo man,i hate to be a downer but put it on a scale,don't believe everything you read. the yamaha dry weights are without vital fluids and tires!!!!! you can be in denial all you want but like the dr. says the scale don't lie ? my 04 wr 450's claimed dry weight is 247 ? i removed the starter and everything to do with it 14lbs,lighter sprocket 1 lb,yz rear fender 3lbs lighter,yz airbox 2lbs lighter,odo 2 lbs,overflow tank almost 2lbs,lighter seat almost 1 lb. lighter. thats about 25 lbs now i've added almost 8 lbs of crap,so that is a net reduction of 17 lbs at your rate of thinking my bike weighs 230 lbs ? sorry its right at what yamaha claims it to be,only after a 17 lb reduction(about what oil and tires weigh) my bike(stock) weighed almost 263 wet w/out gas.(it was done on a double beam scale) welcome to the real world! ? basically sayin you can make a wr weigh almost the same as a yz!

i think many of you would be shocked if you actually weighed your bikes! well anyway, i know i have removed 25 lbs(because i weighed and noted every change)off my wr so according to yamaha 247 minus 220 is 27 that puts me only TWO lbs more than the yz and that can be had by removing my headlight(but i like it too much) soooo, the wr is really not any heavier than the yz except for the lb or so that the 5th gear and voltage reg weigh! i need that to keep the headlight goin. electric starters belong on street bikes anyway! the rest of it was just crap and the only other thing is the kickstand and i take that off for HS. its rather inexpensive to yz a wr around a hundred bucks,mostly its taking things off that you can sell,like the starter and all the crap is worth $200-300(04 anyway) depending on if its new when removed. you can actually make enough money selling the junk, that you can do your suspension! ? i'd go the way of the wr especially if your gonna plate it,its way easier taking off what you don't want! ?