YZF 450 vs. CRF 450

I have a 03 crf450, I have had absolutely no problems with it and have no oil consumption issues. I bought honda because I got a unbeleivable deal (new cheaper than used). At the time I didnt want the feel of a 426 and didnt figure the 250F would be enough bike.

I have yet to ride a yzf450, but I have ridden the 250f and a 02 426. What I like about the honda is that as soon as I sat on it, it felt very comfortable like a fitted glove. The Yamahas I felt as if I was sitting on them instead of in them.

probably the best thing to do if you cant test ride them is go sit on both in the showrooms and choose the one you feel most comfortable on because both make great engines.

One other thing, a couple of my buddies ride 426 and wr250f and both of them are jealous of my seat because the yamaha seats feel like solid oak.

If I didnt have a honda, it would probably own a yamaha

I Think the honda's feel better when you sit on them is because the seat is so much better and than inturn makes the suspension feel better

I had an 03' YZ450F, and an 03' CRF450 before my 04' YZ450F. I like the YZ better for: 1.) Routine maintenace, oil changes and filter cleaning, is easier, 2.) The YZ feels lighter in the air and on the ground, 3.) The YZ turns nicer, it seems way more accurate and responsive, and 4.) The YZ motor feels more powerful, responsive and much broader. 5.) I think the build quality is better on the YZ; just look at the difference in the welds on the aluminum components, swingarm YZ and frame CRF. 6.) The seat height is actually lower on the YZ when the sag is set properly. The forward part of the seat is much lower on the YZ; the CRF feels like your sitting in it only because the perimeter frame doesn't allow the forward part of the seat to continue without going up the tank; it's deceiving. The one thing that is nice about the Honda is aesthetics. The red plastic is pretty and the aluminum frame has no paint to shred. The YZ will more than likely have the Al frame and possibly different color plastic. I have heard silver plastic with navy and orange graphics.

Joe :cry:

I had an 03' YZ450F, and an 03' CRF450 before my 04' YZ450F. I like the YZ better for: 1.) Routine maintenace, oil changes and filter cleaning, is easier, 2.) The YZ feels lighter in the air and on the ground, 3.) The YZ turns nicer, it seems way more accurate and responsive, and 4.) The YZ motor feels more powerful, responsive and much broader. 5.) I think the build quality is better on the YZ; just look at the difference in the welds on the aluminum components, swingarm YZ and frame CRF. 6.) The seat height is actually lower on the YZ when the sag is set properly. The forward part of the seat is much lower on the YZ; the CRF feels like your sitting in it only because the perimeter frame doesn't allow the forward part of the seat to continue without going up the tank; it's deceiving. The one thing that is nice about the Honda is aesthetics. The red plastic is pretty and the aluminum frame has no paint to shred. The YZ will more than likely have the Al frame and possibly different color plastic. I have heard silver plastic with navy and orange graphics.

I cant wait for the 06 :cry: :cry: :cry:

[

I Think the honda's feel better when you sit on them is because the seat is so much better and than inturn makes the suspension feel better

Yes - the seat!!! The seat is terrific!!!!! I forgot to mention that!

in the new dirtbike magazine they do a comparison test.

.....what does it say?

[

Yeah, that absolutely makes it worth spending a thousand dollars more to get the Honda.

The CRF had more explosive power delivery, better ergos but lost out in suspension and steering.

???????????

I think you have it backwards

The yz has more power

the honda handles better ,turns better,and has better suspension.

:cry:

Nope I checked it thats what they say. Yes they say the YZ450 has more outright power and its power delivery is suited for expert riders, but that the CRF has an explosive throttle response, but could just as easily be ridden for rounding up the cows. ( seems contradictory). :cry:

[

Yeah, that absolutely makes it worth spending a thousand dollars more to get the Honda.

If you work hard one day you might be able to afford luxuries like upgraded seats too. :cry:

Yep and hopefully they will come in blue and black to match my bike and my bruised ass. And cost less than $1000 :lol::cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I dont know where you are shopping, but around here, the honda & yamaha are the same price +/-$100. If I would have been able to get the yamaha for $1000 less than the honda, I probably would have. At the time of my purchase I was able to get a Canadian Honda for $1500 less than the honda & yamaha dealers in my town.

really?? how much for the honda and where?

The CRF had more explosive power delivery, better ergos but lost out in suspension and steering.

???????????

I think you have it backwards

The yz has more power

the honda handles better ,turns better,and has better suspension.

:cry:

Nope I checked it thats what they say. Yes they say the YZ450 has more outright power and its power delivery is suited for expert riders, but that the CRF has an explosive throttle response, but could just as easily be ridden for rounding up the cows. ( seems contradictory). :cry:

I dont care what the mag. says

have you ever ridden a crf 450 ????

I used to have an 02,03,04 .so not to sound like an ass but I am speaking 1st hand,having had both so I have a pretty good idea what the power is like

As to the price, list price is pretty close but you can get much better deal on the YZ. I paid 5750 OTD for a new 05YZ450F. The cheapest for a Honda was way more

When I bought mine, most of the canadian shops wanted $5200 US and detroit metro area about $5400. I went to my local dealers (honda & Yamaha) and they both quoted MSRP (around $6300) and wouldnt budge on the price. They told me to bring in some quotes and maybe they would negotiate, pissed me off because if they would have been within $500 I would have bought locally.

The dealer I bought from told me that my bike was the first & last that he would sell across the border because if/when Honda finds out, they have been known to create supply probs.

Since then the exchange rates have went up and it is no longer beneficial to go to Canada for them.

The dealer I bought from told me that my bike was the first & last that he would sell across the border because if/when Honda finds out, they have been known to create supply probs.

Since then the exchange rates have went up and it is no longer beneficial to go to Canada for them.

so what your saying is that no one else can go there and get that deal so you'll still end up paying a lot more for the honda. :cry:

besides when you buy that honda you might as well count the price of the kibble white valve and spring kit in with the cost

I checked around on getting a crf250 and the prices were essentially the same between canada & Detroit area, problem with buying from canada is I dont have a michigan title for mine.

I have yet to talk to anyone in Michigan with a valve problem. My bike has around 60 hrs on it and the valves are still in spec.

hmm gets me thinking i can get an 04 yz 450 for 5300 otd or spend over 6 for crf :cry:

1YZ426:

I can't tell you where I heard about the color and graphics changes on the 06 YZs. I just hope it's true. If the 06' gets the Al frame I'll definitely be getting one. The silver with orange/navy graphics would look killer. Maybe they're looking to steal some free advertising from the Supercross movie that's coming out next year. The bikes from the ficticious Team Nami are CRF's with silver plastic.