HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matan

I want to...

8 posts in this topic

Replace the engine oil+filter and i dont have to manual guide, please someone can help me?? I would like to know what to do first anfd what to do next...setp by step...

the bike is YZ 400 98

:cry:

Try this:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/oil_change.htm

If you have trouble (and you will) finding a good SG oil to use, look for the grading, JASO MA.

Don't use "friction modified" or "energy saving" oils.

Oh come on grayracer, go ahead and recommend a brand. You know you want to!

I dare you... Wait, I double dog dare you...

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Well, I for one run Mobile 1 red cap and love it... Depending on who you talk to, it isn't good for the wet clutch, but myself and the other 1000 peeps on this forum using it can't all be wrong. :cry:

Oh come on grayracer, go ahead and recommend a brand. You know you want to!

I dare you... Wait, I double dog dare you...

:cry: :cry: :cry:

So, the glove is down, is it?

Well, alright, then.

Golden Spectra 20w-40 Synthetic Blend, API SG, JASO MA

(how's that, OD?)

(how's that, OD?)

Perfect! Now this has the makings of a good, controversial thread. :cry:

Btw, I was kind of hoping you'd first say something bad about mine though... I'm a little disappointed. :cry: :cry:

That's Golden Spectro 4, Satch :cry:

Perfect! Now this has the makings of a good, controversial thread. :cry:

Btw, I was kind of hoping you'd first say something bad about mine though... I'm a little disappointed. :cry: :cry:

You're sure? Well you know I only have 2 things against it:

1- It's an SJ/SL oil, right? The wear reducers used in SG and MA oils have been with replace different ones that Yamaha thinks are inferior substitutes because the EPA wants it that way (which is what lead to the creation of the JASO MA and MB gradings in the first place). Obviously, this isn't a huge problem, and it doesn't make it a "bad" oil, or engines would be falling apart left and right, but in that controversy, I choose to side with the engine builders, and not the EPA.

2- It's a 50 weight (I know, it's a multigrade), and fifties are unnecessarily heavy, since a 20w-40 covers the same temp range except for the last 13 degrees between 111 F and 124 F, during which time I will not be riding. Using heavier than necessary oil offers no additional protection and can have liabilities associated with it. 20w-40 SG is also the first choice listed out of 3 in both my service manuals.

Your choice of oils is clearly not a bad one, since so many do use it with so much success. I just think that mine is a better one for my YZs.

The "hornets" should be here any time. :lol::cry: