Loctite sucks!!!...in some situations.

I'm the 3rd owner of my XR and one of the previous 2 apparently put loctite on all the bolts. This usually isn't a problem but......it was apparently used on the rear fender mounting bolts too. Those bolt into thread inserts that are mounted in the rear sub-frame. Problem??? When I try to remove the bolts the insert turns too. Bolts will not come out. Does anyone have any suggestions? ?

I don't see how I can do that without melting the fender. The only possible way I can think of is to use a heating iron, like a soldering iron or similar, and touch it to the head of the bolts. Might melt the fender a little but maybe some larger washers would handle that.

Or, worst case...a new fender. ?

For some parts that I change on a regular basis I use Violin rosin. It's a old gunsmithing trick and it really holds stuff on but also lets it go. It just won't let it vibrate loose. But some things are locktite, and other are safety wired.

I've been told that the only fix, once the inserts start turning, is to replace the subframe. Right now I'm inclined to see if I can find a rear fender, cut off the old one and see if I can get to the inserts to at least remove the bolts. Thne maybe I can replace the inserts. ?

• 2 years later...

Can you get a vice-grip around the inserts?

If not, you may try drilling them out, but that would be a last resort. Maybe a bolt cutter on the head of the bolts? Or try using it to pinch the inserts so you can get a grip on them.

I'm the 3rd owner of my XR and one of the previous 2 apparently put loctite on all the bolts. This usually isn't a problem but......it was apparently used on the rear fender mounting bolts too. Those bolt into thread inserts that are mounted in the rear sub-frame. Problem??? When I try to remove the bolts the insert turns too. Bolts will not come out. Does anyone have any suggestions? :confused:

Use a hammer or a punch and hammer and give a couple good blows.This will usually break any bond and break loose easily.:confused:

I don't see how I can do that without melting the fender. The only possible way I can think of is to use a heating iron, like a soldering iron or similar, and touch it to the head of the bolts. Might melt the fender a little but maybe some larger washers would handle that.

Or, worst case...a new fender. :confused:

Very good tip, that or a heat gun would work great.