Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jbordwine

Making an XR650R street legal? Worth the hassle?

12 posts in this topic

Here's the story...I've been riding on and off for about 15 years now, started on a YZ80 and ridden mostly two strokes up until I sold my RMX250 last year. I've also owned a few rice rockets. I just bought my son his first 4-wheeler and hope to get back into trail riding. I've looked at the dual sport bikes, no offense, but they just don't seem as beefy as the off-road or mx type bikes. I figure I'll ride off-road about 75% of the time but I've always wanted to "legally" ride my trail bikes on road. What are the main differences between the XR650R and the XR650L. I know, I know, the L is street legal and the R is not. I did some searching but mostly found scattered information. Would it be worth the hassle to get an 02 or 03 650R and make it street legal or just try to find the 650L model and make it more trail worthy??? Like I mentioned, 75% off-road. BTW, I'm 6'3 and weigh about 225.

Where do you live? :cry:

In Arizona, all you need is a mirror , a horn, and $120 for registration(plus $70 a year for min. insurance). That is worth the hassle.

:cry:

What are the main differences between the XR650R and the XR650L. I know, I know, the L is street legal and the R is not. I did some searching but mostly found scattered information. Would it be worth the hassle to get an 02 or 03 650R and make it street legal or just try to find the 650L model and make it more trail worthy??? Like I mentioned, 75% off-road. BTW, I'm 6'3 and weigh about 225.

You'll likely get a zillion replies to this one! Some guys will supply the technical differences or point you to previous posts. That's not me!

I'm also 6'3" and 225, hey, how 'bout that? :cry: I rode (trail, dirt road, general exploring stuff) as a teenager, then just got back into it 2 years ago with my kids.

This last weekend I spent about 4 hours on my 650R and 3 hours on my dad's 650L.

On the R I rode open desert with my son on his CR 125. Long stretches of whoop trails, some open desert sand washes, some fairly tough terrain. I recently re-did my suspension to suit my weight. If you go with an R and want to do some reasonably fast riding on anything but pretty smooth dirt roads you'll want to install heftier springs and revalve. It waited nearly 2 years to do it and now realize I should have earlier. Anyway, the R is a great ride for someone your size riding the sort of stuff described above. I also ride it when I'm cruising with my 11 year old on his XR100. I don't use the bike's capabilities when cruising, but it's not like I'm driving a bulldozer to the grocery store. It's a fun bike.

Now, about the L. I'd never been on one before last week. My dad left his at my house for a week. Honestly, the bike gets quite a bit of grief from many R riders. I think what really does it is that those not in the know think they are the same bike with different lighting. Almost everyone who's not a Honda person looks at both the 650s as overly heavy battle tanks that are okay around the campsite but not good anywhere else. These are usually the guys who ride MX bikes when trail riding.

Anyway, I really liked the L !!! I put my son on the back, rode right out the driveway, got off the blacktop asap and rode some national forest dirt roads. Yeah, with two of us the potholes were bone shakers. But, on the regular old dirt roads it was great! Lots of power, smooth throttle, little higher gearing than what I'm used to. But very fun.

I live in Kalifornia so it's almost impossible to license an R here anymore. I squeaked in under the line in January but haven't completed the process yet. Now I'm going to. For my riding -- some faster, some slower, I think dual sporting is the way to go.

Free advice! Take it for what you paid for it.

I have a 2000 XR650R, that I made street legal. I would definately do it again. The R is a much better, more substantial bike, and has a liquid cooled motor. It is very streetable, but doesn't come with passenger pegs. There are a couple of sights where they are available. I have never ridden the L, but would recommend the R regardless. For what it's worth.

Gary :cry:

Get the R, uncork it and re-jet it, then make it street legal. It's WELL WORTH THE HASSLE! I have an '00 XR650R uncorked/jetted, and street legal, and I'm very glad I went to the trouble of getting the street legal kit and having it liscensed.

This is an extremely good bike for dual sporting, it actually 'works' on the street AND off-road.

The only drawback to the "R" that I can think of, after it's uncorked and jetted, is the extremely high power output, which for some people is just too much for some riders, especially on pavement where you get full traction. A light throttle hand is needed when learning to ride it, you can't just whack it open on pavement and expect to remain on the bike, without a firm grip with both hands and gripping the sides with your legs. The acceleration is immediate and very abrupt. But it's an awesome bike that you will never get bored with.

my 650R is now street legal and its awesome on the street--

in fact i think its a better street bike than dirt bike!

Buy the Percisons Concepts replacement for the right footpeg bracket first. Otherwise, you will probably break yours in the middle of no where like I did last year. Worst case, you will break it technical riding or going over a small jump (like I did), fall and break something (like I broke my wrist). Worth the core exchange to ride without worry. My 03 had less than 600 miles on it when the break occurred (mine was street legal and uncorked too) and was on my 3rd ride. You can lighten an L a bit, but it will still never handle like an R. But it does have the E button.

Two more cents to consider. Buy used too. There are a lot of them out there.

Just got my plate last Monday. Talk about Sh!ts & Giggles! Took it out to the dez Sunday and shook down the Dakar kit. Did pretty good. Only broke the tail lightbuld filiment and lost my new plate! That's OK, I already got my replacement yesterday. I pop riveted it on this time! :cry:

To pass the inspection, I threw on a set of Dunlop 606's. Seem OK for the street but for the dirt I would say they are... "eeehh". What tire pressure do any of you 606 users run? I was running 17 psi front & 15 psi rear for street. For Ocotillo I dropped it down to what I usually run on my Maxxis tires which is 14 psi front & 12 psi rear. What is the best dual sport tire if there is such a thing??

Rokatt Man!!!

I had 606's for my piggie and they did alright. I rode mostly in Prescott, AZ on the dualsport ride earlier this year.

I really like the Kenda Trakmaster II's. They are loud as hell on road, but wear surprizingly well and are good off road. Also, they are inexpensive. I run slightly higher pressure as the sidewalls aren't the stiffest. 16psi rear and 18psi front.

I really like the Kenda Trakmaster II's. They are loud as hell on road, but wear surprizingly well and are good off road. Also, they are inexpensive. I run slightly higher pressure as the sidewalls aren't the stiffest. 16psi rear and 18psi front.

Are those the ones that look like aggressive trials tires?? I was wondering what they might be like. You can't beat the price, that's for sure! I sure was impressed with my Kenda Millville. I had that on the back before I popped on the 606's. Doesn't wear as well as the Maxxis but really worked well in the dez. NOT for the steet though! :cry: