Need bar mounted GPS recommendation

I'm probably stating the obvious here. But, when I was choosing handlebars to go on my Pro Taper clamp, I only considered the ones with a cross-bar. I'm not in the market for a GPS, but I thought about mounting some trail repair supplies there. I went with the Renthal Twinwall (that's not a plug...just my choice!). There's a few others with cross-bars, but most of the 1 1/8" bars lack them. I look for little places to stash stuff, but there aren't a whole lot on the XR. It seems a shame to relinquish the possible uses of a cross-bar.

Thanks a bunch for the input. Actually I was in a hurry and didn't think about doing a search on the subject, so when I did, I got a wealth of info on the subject.

I found that the RAM mount for the ETrex seems to be the best bet. Anybody have any feedback on the handlbar mount that they make?

I like the idea of mounting it more towards the center of the bars, rather than out on the ends, where it would be more apt to be damaged in a crash.

RAM mount is the only way to go. Ive got 2 etrex's 2 RAM's=0 problems. On standard bars, I mount mine in between the bar clamps on the fat portion of the bar. Then I turn the unit sideways which puts it barely above the crossbar-out of harms way.

[ September 11, 2002, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: wrong ]