HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billyj7175

Need bar mounted GPS recommendation

8 posts in this topic

I have a Garmin E-Trex GPS unit that I was looking into a handlebar mount for it, but I read some bad feedback about the mount itself, so I was thinking of buying a whole new GPS unit just for my XR.

Any recommendations on a handlebar mounted unit? How durable? What works, and what doesn't?

Garmin makes a pretty good handlebar mount for the eTrex that replaces the back door. I recomend you tape your batteries together to help reduce intemitant re-booting. One good bump and the eTrex will shut itself off.

I'm probably stating the obvious here. But, when I was choosing handlebars to go on my Pro Taper clamp, I only considered the ones with a cross-bar. I'm not in the market for a GPS , but I thought about mounting some trail repair supplies there. I went with the Renthal Twinwall (that's not a plug...just my choice!). There's a few others with cross-bars, but most of the 1 1/8" bars lack them. I look for little places to stash stuff, but there aren't a whole lot on the XR. It seems a shame to relinquish the possible uses of a cross-bar.

Thanks a bunch for the input. Actually I was in a hurry and didn't think about doing a search on the subject, so when I did, I got a wealth of info on the subject.

I found that the RAM mount for the ETrex seems to be the best bet. Anybody have any feedback on the handlbar mount that they make?

I like the idea of mounting it more towards the center of the bars, rather than out on the ends, where it would be more apt to be damaged in a crash.

RAM mount is the only way to go. Ive got 2 etrex's 2 RAM's=0 problems. On standard bars, I mount mine in between the bar clamps on the fat portion of the bar. Then I turn the unit sideways which puts it barely above the crossbar-out of harms way.

[ September 11, 2002, 05:21 AM: Message edited by: wrong ]