Shave Seat on 650L

Anyone shave their seat to lower the bike some? I am a new rider and have an 04 650L - at 6' the seat is still a little to high for me - especially at stops that are inclined where I can barly touch the ground with both toes in Boots. Looked at lowering links but don't want to lose ground clearance or mess up the steering geometry - seems that shaving the seat some might be the trick? Thoughts?

I think it is a great idea....I had a friend that did that to his street bike and it will be my next project...You might try lowering the front by sliding the forks up some...I am going to try that too when I get my bike back from the shop.

check the sag in the rear susp. make sure it is set right for your weight!!! approx. 3.5-4 in. is a good figure for sag setting!!! :cry:

I slid the forks through the clamps about 1 1/2 inches and it doesn't seem to be upsetting the handling any but, it does get the bike lower to the ground....

Shaved the seat today...I took out about 1 1/2" at the lowest point....It was really simple to remove the seat cover and I used a hacksaw blade to cut through the foam....I have heard that an electric carving knife works the best....Do your best to get the foam as smooth as possible because every little flaw will show through the seat cover....Also, you will need some all purpose adhesive to make the seat cover conform to the new shape...You can get it at any automotive parts store...and last but not least you will need a staple gun with 1/4" staples or the same size that the seat cover was put on with originally...It is nice to have both feet firmly planted on the ground. One other thing to think about before you try it....It also puts you closer to your foot pegs....Not a problem for me but I hadn't thought about it until I rode a few miles....