HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
im5150

Oil change 426

9 posts in this topic

My son just bought a 426 and we are about to chang the oil. Just need to know how much to put in and ifin theres any tricks :cry:

Sorta embarrased to ask but we dont have a service manuel.

It's about 1.2 US qts. with a filter change. A little less without a filter. I'll bet you can get the exact capacities by doing an internet search.

Oil change for oil-in-frame bikes:

-Warm it up

-Loosen completely or remove the top tube filler cap/dipstick

-Remove down tube plug & drain oil in frame, clean & replace plug

-Remove engine case oil drain plug, drain oil, clean & replace plug

-Add 1 US qt. oil in frame filler, replace dipstick, start & run engine briefly and turn off

-Add remaining oil in small increments, running and stopping engine, checking oil level on dipstick without screwing it.

-Repeat until the correct oil level is reached

This works well for me. :cry:

Also go to Wal-Mart and pick up a long nozzle funnel for a buck..... Life will be much easier.

Bonzai :cry:

Also go to Wal-Mart and pick up a long nozzle funnel for a buck..... Life will be much easier.

Bonzai :cry:

Good call about the funnel. I've got an IMS 3.2 tank on my '02 and it's a definite must have item.

My 2002 WR426 manuel says 1.37 qt without filter change

and 1.48qt with filter change not 1.2 qt.I think that is for a 450 which has less oil capacity ( one of the many reasons that the 426 is a better bike IMO)

You think your bike is that much better because of that little oil diffrence? :cry:

more oil, cooler running engine and less frequent oil changes, but these diffrences are very small, the biggest is more money spent for more oil :cry:

( one of the many reasons that the 426 is a better bike IMO)

:cry: Hey, I just sold my 01 WR426F to buy a new 04 WR450F, and I have to admit, I do like the 450 better, but its just my opinion. The magic button was about the only reason I did it, but since, I like the 450 trail handling compared to my 426 (it was YZ timed, re-sprung for racing) :cry: