Oil change 426

My son just bought a 426 and we are about to chang the oil. Just need to know how much to put in and ifin theres any tricks :cry:

Sorta embarrased to ask but we dont have a service manuel.

It's about 1.2 US qts. with a filter change. A little less without a filter. I'll bet you can get the exact capacities by doing an internet search.

Oil change for oil-in-frame bikes:

-Warm it up

-Loosen completely or remove the top tube filler cap/dipstick

-Remove down tube plug & drain oil in frame, clean & replace plug

-Remove engine case oil drain plug, drain oil, clean & replace plug

-Add 1 US qt. oil in frame filler, replace dipstick, start & run engine briefly and turn off

-Add remaining oil in small increments, running and stopping engine, checking oil level on dipstick without screwing it.

-Repeat until the correct oil level is reached

This works well for me. :cry:

Also go to Wal-Mart and pick up a long nozzle funnel for a buck..... Life will be much easier.

Bonzai :cry:

1200cc if you are using a ratio rite.

Also go to Wal-Mart and pick up a long nozzle funnel for a buck..... Life will be much easier.

Bonzai :cry:

Good call about the funnel. I've got an IMS 3.2 tank on my '02 and it's a definite must have item.

My 2002 WR426 manuel says 1.37 qt without filter change

and 1.48qt with filter change not 1.2 qt.I think that is for a 450 which has less oil capacity ( one of the many reasons that the 426 is a better bike IMO)

You think your bike is that much better because of that little oil diffrence? :cry:

more oil, cooler running engine and less frequent oil changes, but these diffrences are very small, the biggest is more money spent for more oil :cry:

( one of the many reasons that the 426 is a better bike IMO)

:cry: Hey, I just sold my 01 WR426F to buy a new 04 WR450F, and I have to admit, I do like the 450 better, but its just my opinion. The magic button was about the only reason I did it, but since, I like the 450 trail handling compared to my 426 (it was YZ timed, re-sprung for racing) :cry: