EVS Web knee brace

I can't say anything about the EVS because I never tried one. I do have and recommend the Asterisk, however. It is light, very comfortable, and stays put well. I have no ACL in my right knee, and I haven't hurt it since I started using the * .

The use of laced bands to tighten it in place instead of straps I think contributes to the comfort, and the quick releases are nice to have.

I don't know if it will cramp your "style" or not, but I forgot I was wearing it the first day I used it.

There are two points I can pick at:

1) The laces are secured with a little slip-lock plastic "buckle", which makes it easy to set the tension around your legs as you like it. These I found tend to slip loose during wear, so I tie over them like a shoe lace once I draw them up. It's a little thing.

2) Even though the hinge is quite slim, and has no square edges, it creates a fairly small hard spot on the inside of the knee that is tough on pants and tank graphics. I dealt with this by glueing a small piece of leather to the surfaces of the brace that were bearing against the tank, and by having a leather panel added to the inside of the knees (on the outside of the pants) of my riding pants. Seems to be working.

No matter what, you gotta love not getting hurt. ?

You won't be dissatisfied with the Asterisks, but I really doubt that the braces Gonzo was referring to were Webs. I don't remember them being very bulky. The RS-7 is another matter, and you can barely get the thing into a pant leg.

I don't think anyone has offered an opinion on the Web brace yet.

Gonzo, correct me if I'm wrong.

2) Even though the hinge is quite slim, and has no square edges, it creates a fairly small hard spot on the inside of the knee that is tough on pants and tank graphics. I dealt with this by glueing a small piece of leather to the surfaces of the brace that were bearing against the tank, and by having a leather panel added to the inside of the knees (on the outside of the pants) of my riding pants. Seems to be working.

Motosport outlet sells a pad that attaches by velcro to the inside of your braces for about $7. I think they are made by Thor.

I also give the tumbs up to asterisk. I bought mine used but sent them in for a complete refurb. They replaced every part on both braces for $150.

I didn't have as easy of a time getting used to them. My left leg was fine, but the right leg took a while. I found that I have to leave the top lace strap very loose on my right leg, otherwise my tendon (on the back of my leg) gets constricted when I pick my leg up (like to use the rear brake while sitting down in a left hand corner). That made it almost impossible to use the brake! Once I figured out how loose to run the laces, I was fine. It took me about 3 rides to get used to them.

Gonzo, just to be clear, are you talking about the EVS Web, or the EVS RS-7? The RS-7 is indeed (very bad) ? The web is more like the Asterisk. The path you took is the same thing I did.

No they were the Webs. I got a discount on them and still paid 475 bucks. The RS-7's retail for 375 for the pair. I know what I bought. The big clunky carbon fiber pieces of crap. They are nothing like the Asterisks. I thought they would be.

One more really nice feature of the Asterisk I forgot to mention is that the size of the "hard" part that goes on the front of the user's thigh and calf is adjustable via two allen screws at each location. Tightening the screws makes it curl in smaller, and vice-versa. It can even be done with the brace on.

The hyperextension limit is adjustable too, of course.

And, yeah, where DID you get that price?

I've been riding with the EVS Web's since mid july. After the first 2 rides and getting used to a brace, I love them. They're quite comfortable and I like the perceived feeling of protection. The only gripe is that they go so far down the leg that they make boot selection a problem. I had to down-size from my SIDIs to Tech-8s so that I could close the top buckle comfortably. ?