04 WR450 Headlight Switch

anyone know of a place where I could locate a off and on switch for my headlight on my WR. Looking for a handlebar mounted off and on switch. Pulling my hair out trying to locate one.

Yes, I did it already! I used one made by K&S part number 12-0050, and you can buy it from http://www.peakmotor.com or Dennis Kirk has the same switch, it retails for about $23.99, the Dennis Kirk part number for this switch is 210885. The nice thing about this switch (I have it installed on my 04 WR450F) is you remove your your stock kill switch and replace it with this one, so you wont consume more space on your handlebars and you will be able to wire in lo beam in addition to just having high beam now. In fact, I have all the wiring in my head too.

Cut the yellow wire 3" from the headlamp connector, the short wire from the headlamp plug is your high beam wire, the other end of the yellow wire coming from the harness is your power. Cut the blue wire flush off of the headlamp connector (it hooks with the yellow one) and now hook this blue wire to the wire marked "tail lamp" and to get a blade connector to fit into the empty space on your headlamp socket, this will give you low beam now. Now with the K&S switch, you will have a kill switch, headlamps off (and it will also turn off the tail lamp in the off position) or high beams and now, even low beam (backup if you burn out high beam, better than riding back in the dark). I didnt want to just add another switch, I have those dual sport Acerbis flip up mirrors and didnt have too much room left for an additional switch, this one just replaced my stock kill. Here is a couple of picture of the switch. switch_back.jpg

great idea, thanks toyota! So the headlight on a 04 WR450 has a high and low beam? So is it on high all the time? Need to get this switch for sure.

Yes, your headlamp is stock in the high beam. But both high and low beam are both 55 watts. Just the element is located below center to reflect the beam lower, but same current consumption.

FWIW, I have one of these switches on my WR and it's a TALL switch. It had only been installed for a couple of months when I tipped over in a sand wash and broke the button off the headlight portion of the switch. It's permanently stuck in highbeam mode now. ? When I get around to replacing it, I'll get something a bit lower profile.

Instead of using the integrated button as the kill switch, I wired it to my horn instead. ?

• 4 months later...

Hey I'm hooking this up right now. I understand where the blue (tailight), yellow (highbeam), and green (low beam go), but what's the black wire coming out of my headlight socket? Should I just leave that one alone?

Also, the swithch has a red lead, which is power, where should I hook that too. Thanks!

Hey I'm hooking this up right now. I understand where the blue (tailight), yellow (highbeam), and green (low beam go), but what's the black wire coming out of my headlight socket? Should I just leave that one alone?

Also, the swithch has a red lead, which is power, where should I hook that too. Thanks!

That wire is ground. If you want lo beam, you will need to add another wire in the bulb connector. Also, the yellow (aqfter its cut 3" from the connector) will be high beam, and the other end of the yellow )coming from the harness) is now your power. I think this would be the red wire from the K&S switch. I did PM you XTR ?