removing engine without draining oil??

i am in the process of removing my engine so that i can paint my frame. i just changed my oil about a week ago and havent even got a good ride on it since. is there any way that i can remove the engine without draining the oil. or at least without drainging all of the oil? thanks for the help guys.

Drain the Oil......

You are going to have to disconnect the frame connection anyway. Oil is cheap... but makes a hell of a mess if the motor gets knocked over by accident.

Bonzai :cry:

Unless your bike sat for more than a week, most of your oil will be in the frame. There's a check valve to stop it from running right back to the engine, but over time, it will leak past the oil pump.

Like the man said, drain it.

I agree....took my shattered motor out after draining what I could, and when the oil lines were removed a bunch of oil came out. What a mess.... hindsight? Drain it really good.

Unless your bike sat for more than a week, most of your oil will be in the frame. There's a check valve to stop it from running right back to the engine, but over time, it will leak past the oil pump.

Like the man said, drain it.

Actually the frame oil will drain completely in a matter of minutes. Next time you change the oil loosen the banjo bolt that connects the oil line to the crankcase under the oil pump. Watch just how fast that oil will drain. It's the oil pump and passages that slow the oil down.

And why arent you doing this already? :cry:

It's way easier to drain the frame by doing it this way, no clunky catch bottles, no flood on the floor when they fall, and not to mention the fact that by not draining that oil line you leave a considerable amount of contaminated oil in there every time you change it.

What, did you pour liquid gold in your motor or something?? How much is a quart of oil...a couple bucks tops unless your using synthetic...then you just need to be kicked anyways. Do yourself a favor, stay clean and drain the frickin oil!!

I was thinking that very same thing. Liquid gold, bubblin crude, texas T, :cry:

sorry guys!! ill just drain the oil. its not that the oil cost a lot, cuz it didnt, its just that i was wondering if i could do it without draining the oil. thanks for nothing i guess.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer??? :cry: :cry: :cry:

at the time i didnt think it was stupid or i wouldnt have asked it. :cry: and i didnt get stupid answers i got a bunch of smart ass remarks :cry: and maybe 1 or 2 helpful posts. thanks anways. ill just go work on my bike.

now dont go taking the ribbing personal or you're going to give us guilt trips. :cry:

well geez, i was just asking you guys becuase, when it comes down to it, you guys know more than me(and i know that). so i ask and what do i get, a bunch of answers that make me feel like a dumbass. ill just remember to do it my way next time instead of seeing if you guys can help me out by telling me the right way to do it.

man my lower lip started to quiver after readin' this! :cry:

Actually the frame oil will drain completely in a matter of minutes. Next time you change the oil loosen the banjo bolt that connects the oil line to the crankcase under the oil pump. Watch just how fast that oil will drain. It's the oil pump and passages that slow the oil down.

Not true. There is, as with all reasonably sophisicated dry sump systems, a low pressure check valve located between the oil pump and the oil filter to prevent it. You can see it in the right engine cover when the cover is off. It's only strong enough to hold against the weight of the oil, so the pump easily opens it once it starts running. Run your bike tonight, and pull your frame drain Friday night. Have a pan handy.

Not true. There is, as with all reasonably sophisicated dry sump systems, a low pressure check valve located between the oil pump and the oil filter to prevent it. You can see it in the right engine cover when the cover is off. It's only strong enough to hold against the weight of the oil, so the pump easily opens it once it starts running. Run your bike tonight, and pull your frame drain Friday night. Have a pan handy.

Actually we are saying the same thing. For some reason I misunderstood you to say that the check valve was in the frame.

well geez, i was just asking you guys becuase, when it comes down to it, you guys know more than me(and i know that). so i ask and what do i get, a bunch of answers that make me feel like a dumbass. ill just remember to do it my way next time instead of seeing if you guys can help me out by telling me the right way to do it.

Hey man, do not take any ribbing personally. If you do you will be cowering in the corner before it's over with. Toughen up ya little pansypants. :cry: