Newbie with Question

Here we go again I here you all say...

We I may as well ask the same stupid stuff that every Newbie asks:

I am about to by a 2002 426, question is Should I get a Road Reg YZ or WR, I want to use it mainly on the road in SuperMoto trim, but will be doing local MX tracks and Green Lanes..

So peeps let me Have you opinions, and if you have any mods you would like to through in, before I search and trawl through the site, that would be a bonus.

Many thanks In advance....

DM ?

I run the 01 wr-426,and use for trail riding and also run it with a set of 17" excel rims on talon hubs,i use 2 sets of chain and sprockets for sake of different gearing,1 for trail riding and 1 for road riding,i set the motor for yz timing and it is a real blast,i would recomend the wr,i dunno bout a yz?,as long as it has been wired up for lights the rite way,and an expansion tank for coolant is not a problem for you then i guess it up to you,but i will recomend a well sorted wr as being fit for the job! ?

Thanks again Guys...But I'm not new to changing gearing been doing it on Road bikes for years but.......

""i use 2 sets of chain and sprockets for sake of different gearing""

Why 2 chains is on road/off road gear that big a difference, and you know what my next question is........rough on road gearing and Rough off road gearing please...

I just don`t need my wr gearing to be as high for trail riding as i do for using it with 17" wheels for the back roads,also i like to keep my chain and sprockets as a matched set(more so for street riding!)and also that you may find the chain lenght for trail gearing may not match up to your street gearing!,as a rough guide for trail the stock 14/50 set up is not to bad,for street you would want to gear it for maybe another 30 mph on the top end(i think maybe a low #40`s for the rear)but it will depend on what sort of performance you want,also do not go any more than a #15 front for sake of clearance problems,and if you would like a set of to die for street wheels go to talon engineering they are superb!

ive ridden my WR with 15/48 and it was no good for the woods, nice in snow and acceptable on the road

now i ride stock 14/50 but sometimes 13 front would do magic in those tight 2nd gear clutch enforced wet, rocky, rooty climbing

still no complains on stock

must consider that smaller rear wheel (supermotard) acts as bigger sprocket, because it spins quicker, so yes, about 40-43 rear should match it...depends on the road you ride

smaller sprocket, less instant power, but more forgiving to the engine on loger rides, but thats not the point in SM ?

I routinely ride 16-48 in the woods... My...15-48 is just fine... but anyway....

First, I'd go with a WR.

Then, always shift using the clutch while on pavement so it won't be too hard on the transmission and the rest.

I've been taking my WR to go to work for quite a while and I also use it on tracks so I think you will like the beast. ?

For trail riding i`m runnin 15/51,and for the 17"wheels i`m runnin 14/42,at times i would like a little more top end with the 14/42,but then throttle response will be a price to pay for taller gearing as said,but mine will still lift the front on the throttle in 4th with 14/42,i`m not saying that the gearing i run is the perfect set up for you,but i find it is reasonable ?