What are the major differences between 03, 04, and 05 XR650R?

I would think they would come down more than that on a bike that is going to be 2 years old soon even though it is new. I bought my 03 in Dec. of 2003 for $4999. Nothing has changed on the bikes like was said. I have heard of poeple buying these bikes as low as $4500 new as left over year models. I would try to get the 03 if you can get a deal on it.

I have read where the very first year of XR650R had an oil seal, (not sure, but think it was a seal behind the countershaft sprocket), that failed during the Baja race, and engine was destroyed by oil loss ... I believe I also read where the seal culprit was corrected on the later models ... worth asking the dealer about ...

Wow! Thanks for all the great info.

I have been dreaming about it all weekend and I am going in tomorrow for another look.

I may offer $5200 OTD and see if they bite.

One more silly question... ?

I had knee surgery on my right knee in Feb. It's healed to better than ever but I have a small concern about kick starting that big of a bike. How hard is it to kick start?

My 2004 XR650L has electric start so I am spoiled.

I see that Baja Designs makes an add on e-starter but that is more $$$ and more weight.

- Ron

Wow! Thanks for all the great info.

I have been dreaming about it all weekend and I am going in tomorrow for another look.

I may offer $5200 OTD and see if they bite.

One more silly question... ?

I had knee surgery on my right knee in Feb. It's healed to better than ever but I have a small concern about kick starting that big of a bike. How hard is it to kick start?

My 2004 XR650L has electric start so I am spoiled.

I see that Baja Designs makes an add on e-starter but that is more $$$ and more weight.

- Ron

Ron, if you follow the procedure for kick starting these bikes its a piece of cake. If you don't follow the procedure it will be a pain. So it's a no brainer, follow the procedures. Make sure you install the power up kit before you start kicking it.

Oh yeah, they had a bad run of seals behind the counter shaft sprocket on the early models. That has been corrected and there was a flaw in the design of the early clutch guide bearing which has also been corrected. Niether of these problems is in an 03 model. Other than that from 2000 its first model year to 2005 the only difference is graphics.