Iridium plug?

OK, here is the skinny on standard, platinum and irridium. As a Toyota tech by trade, the advantage of the plugs with the precious metals is just extended intervals. In a standard automotive engine, the standard goes 30,000 miles, the platinums go 60,000 miles, while the irridiums 90,000-100,000 miles. There is no advantage over using irridium other than you wont have to worry about the gap getting wider from wear, so in laymans terms, it last longer, but will give you no more power over stock, it jsut resist wear. If you try to gap it, you'll scratch off the irridium or platinum and you be back to standard, so be careful gapping it also. I doubt anyone in here will actually try to match 90,000 mile auto equivalent on their dirt bikes. Basically, it goes 3 times as long as std, I suppose you could run it 3 times longer than normally, whatever that may be for you. But the plug will cost about 3 times as much, so its a wash.

would the precious metals not offer less resistance,and in turn gain a little juice? i use the irridium plug and it definately starts easier.(two kicks instead of 3-4)in fact just for shits and giggles at last plug change i put a new stocker back in and after a few days at h&m (back to kickin3-4 times)stopped and got a new irridium put it in and sure enough started every 2-3 kicks,so there must be more to it than that,in fact i swear i get better gas mileage from the irridium ? :cry:

Iridium and Platinum plugs are just coated with these metals, the rest of the plug is made of the same metal.

Therefore, the electrical charge is only as strong as the regular plug because the metal to pass the charge is same.

Like the Toyota rep says, the metal reduces wear, thats it.

so that little tiny electrode is not solid irridium? i'm gonna have to research that,they certainly aren't just plating standard material its to skinny. and i swear up and down on my momma's life it starts better with it. maybe i don't understand the mumbo but i can tell you it works better for some reason,maybe with twice the longevity it acts new for a longer period? ? :cry: o.k. so maybe better conductivity is what i was looking for? electrical lingo can get you in trouble quik!!!!

would the precious metals not offer less resistance,and in turn gain a little juice?...

The gap is the resitance, you can increase the gap to get more voltage, but the coil was designed for "so much" gap.

o.k. after checking with my electronics guy he says that i was correct in referring it as resistance and that one is primary and the other secondary(forgot which one was which spark or electrode) anyway a path with less resistance will equal more energy transfer at a faster rate hence more jouhles or some crap like that. what it boils down to is efficiancy the more the merrier ?

While we are on efficency, what is the general consesus on those capacitors that you put in-line to the plug. They supposedly save the energy and then "dump it" at a quicker rate so the spark is hotter.

You know... remember those Roost Boost of the early to mid 90's that did nothing more then add weight to the bike. What a joke. ?

so that little tiny electrode is not solid irridium? i'm gonna have to research that...

NC MM, yes, its just plated with the irridium/platinum. And the reason its so small it because it takes less to cover the smaller area. Technically, its a standard plug with special plating on the electrode tips whcih have been reduced is size to keep the amount of plating/cost lower.

so that little tiny electrode is not solid irridium? i'm gonna have to research that...

NC MM, yes, its just plated with the irridium/platinum. And the reason its so small it because it takes less to cover the smaller area. Technically, its a standard plug with special plating on the electrode tips whcih have been reduced is size to keep the amount of plating/cost lower.

o.k. well every article i've researched states that ngk and denso have a solid irridium-rhodium alloy tip(all the part you can see)laser welded to a copper core,and bosch actually makes a solid platinum core plug with a yttrium alloy tip. not only is the irridium harder and more temp resistant it reduces the amount of required firing voltage by 5,000 volts reducing misfires and allowing more spark energy. the one thing in common with the 20 or more reports i've gone over is more efficient combustion and greater fuel mileage. so i can pretty much say your wrong, no plating and definate performance gains....use your search engine if you don't believe ?

It's a waste of money, no performance gain is realized from an iridium plug....proven on the dyno!

Agreed, it just resist wear so it last longer!

well i guess youv'e had first hand experience?or are ya just goin on what ya hear? because if you don't call improved starting,better idle,and what seems to be better fuel mileage(no real way to tell but i'm definately using less gas)performance gains i don't know what they are. maybe HP gain isn't there ,but how it runs while its makin the same HP seems important! i'm telling you there is a difference you've already lost credibility with this plating crap(the tips are not plated!)so whatever you got against them get over it! they work better. ?

well i guess youv'e had first hand experience?or are ya just goin on what ya hear? because if you don't call improved starting,better idle,and what seems to be better fuel mileage(no real way to tell but i'm definately using less gas)performance gains i don't know what they are. maybe HP gain isn't there ,but how it runs while its makin the same HP seems important!

And my bike runs better after I wash it and also after I change oil too! I've never checked mileage with my WR, riding trails isnt very accurate anyway.

i'm telling you there is a difference you've already lost credibility with this plating crap(the tips are not plated!)

plated, welded, coated, you knew what I meant anyway.

I did mention they last 3 times as long, but I dont know of anyone who waits till their plugs are all worn down anyway. ? NC MM, I say if you like them, keep using them. They just dont do it for me. ?

I have to agree with the starting issue. My WR450 is a very easy starting bike since I put in a Denso Iridium plug. I've had this plug in my bike for nearly 2 years (about 5000mi). I also believe that they are less prone to fouling because of the smaller center electrode and require lower voltage to generate a spark. I believe the only time you will see a performance gain with rare metal/fine wire spark plugs versus standard spark plugs is in boosted, exotic fuels, or very high compression ratios (>14:1)applications.

I have to agree with the starting issue. My WR450 is a very easy starting bike since I put in a Denso Iridium plug. I've had this plug in my bike for nearly 2 years (about 5000mi). I also believe that they are less prone to fouling because of the smaller center electrode and require lower voltage to generate a spark. I believe the only time you will see a performance gain with rare metal/fine wire spark plugs versus standard spark plugs is in boosted, exotic fuels, or very high compression ratios (>14:1)applications.

THANK YOU !!!! i was waiting for some back up! and 12.5:1 is fairly high, alot higher than any toyotie. i'm glad i wasn't just imagining these improvements ?