XR650 Info

Hello All

Comin on over from the XR250/400 forum and was seeking a little information. I was THINKING about selling my 01 XR400 and possibly buying a XR650, simply because most of my riding is on wide open roads/drag race 2-stroke 250's and have a hard time keeping up. ANYWHO I have a few questions before I do though. My 400 came pretty plugged up upon buying it. By this I mean airbox snorkel, restrictive air filter, Plugged up exhaust, header pipe welds pretty big. I cured all of these problems now have a good "free flowing" system. Much better performance. Is the XR650 the same? What kind of mods need to be done to it? What is this Power Up Kit I keep hearing about? If someone could point me out in the right direction of some good XR650 info, or could explain a little that would be great!! Thank you!!!

I rode a 2001 XR650R with the power-up kit and I think it was the most powerful dirt bike I've ever ridden. On a straight run, it easily left my CR500 in the dust. As far as handling, I found it to be kind of like my XR400. Good luck. At any rate, you cannot go wrong with a Honda.

Hey fred the xr650 is probably the best bike made for what you have described. To answer your question, yes it comes plugged up pretty good from the factory, but can be unplugged pretty easily. Honda makes parts to unplug the exhaust and includes info on what to uncork in the intake area, along with jetting instructions. This stuff is referred to as the full power kit. Honda also makes the power up kit which is a whole different animal. It retails for about $1000, and consists of cam, piston, and misc. other items. Power is estimated at approx. 60 HP with the power up kit, but it is deceiving. The power up kit is very similar to the stock power except a LOT more of it.The system was produced for Johnny campbell"s bike to accelerate with the KX500s. You will be better served to purchase an aftermarket exhaust system with larger diameter head pipes and muffler, to maximize output. I have a 650 for running the best in the desert series in Nevada. The 650 is without dout the best bike for the job!

If you have more questions e-mail or write back.

SEE YA!

Hello again

I still have a few questions if you dont mind ? Does the airbox have a removable snorkel just like the 400? I notice a can buy a HRC Competition Baffle, Uni Airfilter, and a HRC competition intake manifold and jetting kit. With these things installed would the bike be "unplgged? Hmmm what else, OH, the Smog Block Off Kit. What is this for and why? Last question, with the HRC Competition Baffel, does it just replace the one thats in there now, or will I need other parts? For example when I put in a different baffel in my 400, "Vortip" I needed to modify my endcap. Will I have to do the same with the 650? Thank you!!

[ July 12, 2002: Message edited by: fred_durst ]

I'm also fairly new to the Big Red Pig, coming over from an XR250. There are a couple of pages dedicated to unplugging at xr650r.net and elsewhere. Here's what I did -

At the airbox, pulled off the snorkel and the plastic part next to it. (described at the website)

Pulled the carb off and removed the intake manifold. Removed the small aluminum plate from the manifold, and cut the rubber out to enlarge the passage from a small rectangle to the large circle (or you can buy this manifold).

Went from #125 jet (stock) to #162, and went up a bit on the pilot jet.

Used a hole saw to remove the exhaust tip (this leaves the spark arrester intact). As this resulted in a bit more noise than I wanted, I packed stainless steel scrub pads in the internal baffles - found that two, strategically placed, quiet the bike down nicely.

This bike has the broadest, smoothest powerband I have ever felt. When stock, the power started out like my XR250, but just kept building. Now, I have this ratty-sounding, not-pretty motor, running at low speed... then I crack the throttle, and it bursts into song. By the way, it starts first kick when warm.

I thought about an XR400, but figured this was more bike for less money. It could be too much more bike, but I am getting used to it in the tight woods I ride in here. In some respects, the extra weight is a blessing. To deal with the woods, I went down one tooth in front, and am going up two in the rear.

I'd go for it!

? Mac

The process of uncorking an XR650R is pretty easy. There is a great writeup of the process on www.XR650R.net just click on the "Making the XR650R run right! (Uncorking it!)" link on the left side menu. This includes pictures and part numbers.

What I have done to my '01 XR650R is the following. I first pulled the air box restrictors out, and carved out the stock intake manafold. With a UNI air filter, this opens the intake side of things.

I replaced the exhaust tip with the HRC tip #18317-MBN-640 which I personally think is a better solution than drilling out the plug of the stock tip. The HRC tip goes into the muffler deeper and past the second baffle which allows more flow and less back pressure. This helps keep the bike from overheating in slow stuff. There does not seem to be any way to make BIG power without some pretty BIG noise, but the HRC tip is not as bad as my buddies WR400 with a White Bro's E-series (reportedly the most powerful pipe for the XR650R).

The last thing to do to make your XR650R is to jet it properly for your altitude. The most popular jets I have seen talked about on the web are a 175 main, 68S pilot at sea level. I used those as a basis and ended up with a 155 main and 60 pilot for my high altitude riding in Colorado (approx 7500 ft.)

These mods do not cost a ton of money but liven the Big XR up a TON!

To answer your question about the smog block off stuff you have read, that only applies to the Peoples Republic of California models where the tree huggers made them put on a very auto like smog system.

It is imoportant to note a couple of weak links in the XR650R too. The countershaft seal on the '00 and some '01 bikes has a tendancy to blow. Thus dumping a bunch of oil. There is a new part # for the '02 models and they are cheap $5 US and easy to replace. They are held in with a snap ring. Also there is a bushing in the clutch that has been know to go bad in the same '00 and '01 bikes. This is harder to get at but an easy fix with the new part # also.

The only other tip that I have is to check the oil screen in the down tube regularly when changing oil. Beyond that ride the piss out of the BRP (Big Red Pig) and save your money for rear tires! ?

Originally posted by fred_durst:

..., anywho know about the prices of those bikes? Thank you

I've seen them for sale used in the $3500 - $6000 price range. There's plenty around that are used and in great condition for under $4000 if you look around. As for new prices, they really vary depending on whether you want a new 2001 left over model (if there's any left) or a 2002 or if you're planning to wait for the 2003 models that will be out a little later this year. There were a couple dealers late last year and earlier this year selling new 2001 XR650R's for less than $4200 out the door, but you really had to look hard for those deals as they were not common. I've seen where several people were getting 2002 XR650R's for under $5,000 out the door and you should be able to do that if you shop around. As soon as the 2003's come out (probably in a few months), you can bet Honda will be trying harder to dump the 2002 models and you'll find even better deals then, especially if the economy gets softer. It doesn't appear Honda has changed anything on the XR650R for 2003 except for Bold New Graphics, so the bikes from 2000 - 2003 are nearly identical except for small changes, some of which were important (clutch bearing, countershaft seal, etc). Also check out the Yahoo XR650R group at the following link for more XR650R info.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R/messages

Hello again.

I cant seem to find any used XR650's up here (Canada) Grrrrr, I know I wont get a new one but it might be a possibility. If I trade in my 2001 XR4 towards the purchase of an XR650, how much would I expect to pay. I think the dealer still has a 2001 XR650, so I might get a good price, but then again the dealer is really cheap so.... About the clutch bearing and countershaft seal, how much would it cost to replace these with the updated part? Thank you!

.... About the clutch bearing and countershaft seal, how much would it cost to replace these with the updated part? Thank you!

If you get a 2001 from a dealer, tell them to make sure it's updated with the new parts and work that into the deal. The parts themselves are very inexpensive. The countershaft seal is pretty simple to install while the newer clutch bushing takes more work. Here's a link so you can see both the new and old clutch bushings side by side along with the part number.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R/files/Clutch%20Bushing%201.jpg

Here's the link to a picture of the new countershaft seal, which has a wider sealing surface.

http://attach5.groups.yahoo.com/v1/oIkvPejB3bBAlNqN8rlwDCF0xRIUTSjcqJ_uvAgm3_tYMnbN6_w7dJBkZy08ObN22oqU-IDGF1vIK6avVgDcA0v4DG71RewPnkeCBg/Countershaft%20seal%20update.jpg

Here's their part numbers a prices from Service Honda.

22116-MBN-671 = New Clutch Bushing = $9.40

91205-MBN-672 = New Countershaft Seal = $2.81

Thanks! If I do buy from a dealer I will make sure those new parts are installed. Well now that I know more about the bike, mods etc how bout performance wise? Convince me to buy this bike ? How easy is it to get the front tire in the air? I can get the front tire up in the air with my uncorked xr4 easily is first and second gear, cant really do it in third. I noticed when a gave a lady friend of mine a ride on my xr4 today (combined weight of 250lbs) it hardly pulled. I mean, hardly any roost (yes I was driving safe mommy :D ) I want a bike with some guts, hopefully this is what I am looking for?

Gosh....I just checked traderonline and some dealers are already selling 2003 XR650R's, so they are now available! I'm guessing some dealers may soon become a little more motivated to sell their 2002's in the not too distant future.

...lady friend of mine a ride on my xr4 today (combined weight of 250lbs) it hardly pulled...

Well, I'm 6'5" tall and weigh about 250 just by myself and it pulls fine. I can get my front wheel in the air in 3rd just using the throttle without yanking the bars up. My wife weighs about 115 and it roosts plenty good with her on the back (combined weight of 365!). With your power to weight ratio, the XR650R would really be wild and would easily wheelie. You may also want to check out the CRF450 if you haven't done so already. It's very powerful and a good deal lighter than the XR650R, but I'm sure there will be quite a bit more maintenance on a higher strung bike like this.

Well what I mean was it just didnt have as much power, I'm sure it could wheelie with that much weight but i'm not gonna try with 2 people on there, could end up lookin pretty nasty. Anywho this weekend i'm gonna go check out some 650's. One problem me and my dad have always had with buying from dealers was trying to get them to come down in price. How do ya do it really? Here is the situation. A new XR650 retails for 7500. Lets say I get 5500 for my bike. I drop the 5500 on the table, how much more will I expect to pay to get that bike out the door? Thank you!!

Checked out xr650r.net, great site! Thanks!! Now I just have to get ride of my 400, and find a 650. How much should I ask for a 2001 XR400, Intake/Exhaust mods, Sealsavers, Spare Stock Exhaust Pipe + Spare header pipe? Also, how much can I expect to pay for a XR650? Thank you!!

Checked out xr650r.net, great site! Thanks!! Now I just have to get rid of my 400 ? and find a 650 :D How much should I ask for a 2001 XR400, Intake/Exhaust mods, Sealsavers, Spare Stock Exhaust Pipe + Spare header pipe? Also, how much can I expect to pay for a XR650? Thank you!!

I know it's too far away but there is a leftover 2001 650R in Petersburg W.Va. for $4350 out the door. The dealer is Tri-County Honda and they don't charge freight or setup. The 400 is a great bike but in the conditions you describe the 650 is nearly perfect.

With your power to weight ratio, the XR650R would really be wild and would easily wheelie. You may also want to check out the CRF450 if you haven't done so already. It's very powerful and a good deal lighter than the XR650R, but I'm sure there will be quite a bit more maintenance on a higher strung bike like this

Yes I dont want a bike with high maintence. How is the XR650 in the maintenence department? Comparable to my XR4? Thanks