Piston pin pitting *picture

I concure, Replace it. The wrist pin and Rod (if Required) are not expensive. You are asking for a seizure on down the road if you don't. I agree it looks like a very small piece of the bearing race may have come off at sometime and caused the scoring. It only takes seconds to to damage like this, and may not have serious consequences for some time, But being out of spec can cause vibrations that over time could very well cause a piston to let go creating a major overhaul or engine replacement situation.

Bonzai ?

I concure, Replace it. The wrist pin and Rod (if Required) are not expensive.

I have not pulled the crank yet... What is going to be involved with separating the crank to replace the connecting rod? I thought maybe the whole crank was a one piece sell. First off I do not have a crank puller or installation tool. Can this be done w/o these tools?

I have been also considering a big bore kit. Is a con rod included in this kit?

Do a search on the online microfiche sites. I just came across the crank/rod assembly for less than $150. Thats really cheap considering what it is.

Please share where you found this online.

Ok. Got some more pictures to share. As you can see below is a picture of the connecting rod....Is it toast???

Also is a picture of the cylinder wall. There are no skratches. Should I have the small cross hatching done again before installing new piston?

1098280812_con_rod.jpg

1098280838_cylinder.jpg

I can get the link to the fiche this evening for you.

I would call the rod toast, myself.

See the shiny rings at the top of the cylinder. Those are wear spots where the piston rings have worn the cylinder down more than the rest of the bore. It's worn the most right were you need it intact the most. I would just get it re-plated. Although it may be cheaper to just buy a new cylinder though. The same fiche will show that too.

Would a big bore kit eliminate the need to have the cylinder re-plated? After all the $ that is going to go into repairing everything it seems as though it equals the amount of a big bore kit.

well they have raised the "list" prices for the assembly. You'll have to do some leg work calling around to get a low price but you should be able to definitely get below the listed price.

just look your bike up and it will show the list price for everyting on it.

http://www.yamahaaccy.com/parts.aspx

Thanks for the link. That is a very useful web-site for parts. Everyone should put this in their favorites folders.