HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TxRenegade

Yz or wr

13 posts in this topic

What is the difference in the WR and YZ, and 400,426, etc? I ride a Suzuki now but a looking at a Yamaha for my new race bike. I just started racing cross-country and need a lighter bike than my DRZ.

Thanks in advance.

YZ - light, fast, well sprung

WR - kickstand, not as light, not as well sprung, not as fast, but has lights

dont forget about the following:

WR has a bigger gas tank. 2.6 gal vs a football

WR has a 5 gears - not 4

WR has a ride ratio tranny.

Would a wr426f be a good woods bike? Or are the yzf's better?

WR would be better for the woods; however, YZ isn't that bad either (once you toss on a FW weight). If you like jumping (one of my squidly guilty pleasures :cry: ) then the YZ is definately the ticket... If I had it to do over again I would buy a YZ that already had a DS kit already installed (or at least a bigger stator) and a KS (handy to have when there are no trees around to against which to lean...

Would a wr426f be a good woods bike? Or are the yzf's better?

WR would be better for the woods; however, YZ isn't that bad either (once you toss on a FW weight). If you like jumping (one of my squidly guilty pleasures :cry: ) then the YZ is definately the ticket... If I had it to do over again I would buy a YZ that already had a DS kit already installed (or at least a bigger stator) and a KS (handy to have when there are no trees around to against which to lean...

It is much easier to make a WR like a YZ then to make a YZ into a WR. Just remember that. :cry: I have spent a fortune but I finally have a WR minus the wide trans. (which I would die for) A WR will feel and jump just as good as a YZ with the tank/seat combo and redone suspension. Then a simple adjustment of the cam and WALLA, a YZ with lights. :cry: :cry:

A WR 426 has retarded timing, wide ratio trans, bigger gas tank and an 18 inch rear wheel.

The yz 426 has a HIGH 1st gear so if you ride nasty technical 1st gear stuff get the WR. If you ride trails in 2nd and above, get the YZ and let it rip!!

I think the next one I get will be a YZ, then I'll change it as I see fit. There is a thread about a drop in swap of the 4 speed tranny for the WR 5 speed as well. I think even if you did all the updates to make a WR more like a YZ, you still end up with a heavy, undersprung YZ. The money required to swap a YZ to more WR like would be in the tranny. IF you really really had to have lights (I've never used mine) then you'd have to throw in a stator upgrade. These are all personal opinions, of course. :cry:

Thanks for all the input; I am still looking at a couple of different bikes. How much difference in weight is there between the 2 bikes?

The yz is about 220lbs dry+oil and 1.8 gal of fuel

The wr is about 245lbs dry+oil and 2.1 gal of fuel

The yz is about 220lbs dry+oil and 1.8 gal of fuel

The wr is about 245lbs dry+oil and 2.1 gal of fuel

maybe in a perfect world(or japan) my 04 wr 450 weighed 269 lbs oiled up without gas. the "dry weight" yamaha gave for my bike was 247,so after adding 5 lbs for vital fluids that should be 252 right? wrong!!! after some research i found that yamahas dry weight is without tires!!!! only after removing 23 lbs did i get down to their claimed weight to start with. so one can only assume that the yz 450 weight is also somewhere in the high 240's race ready w/out gas.don't know where you get your info but mine came from a zeroed beam scale! :cry: :cry: