Yz or wr

What is the difference in the WR and YZ, and 400,426, etc? I ride a Suzuki now but a looking at a Yamaha for my new race bike. I just started racing cross-country and need a lighter bike than my DRZ.

Thanks in advance.

YZ - light, fast, well sprung

WR - kickstand, not as light, not as well sprung, not as fast, but has lights

Would a wr426f be a good woods bike? Or are the yzf's better?

dont forget about the following:

WR has a bigger gas tank. 2.6 gal vs a football

WR has a 5 gears - not 4

WR has a ride ratio tranny.

98-02 YZ400/426's have 5 gears, but closer ratios.

WR would be better for the woods; however, YZ isn't that bad either (once you toss on a FW weight). If you like jumping (one of my squidly guilty pleasures :cry: ) then the YZ is definately the ticket... If I had it to do over again I would buy a YZ that already had a DS kit already installed (or at least a bigger stator) and a KS (handy to have when there are no trees around to against which to lean...

WR would be better for the woods; however, YZ isn't that bad either (once you toss on a FW weight). If you like jumping (one of my squidly guilty pleasures :cry: ) then the YZ is definately the ticket... If I had it to do over again I would buy a YZ that already had a DS kit already installed (or at least a bigger stator) and a KS (handy to have when there are no trees around to against which to lean...

It is much easier to make a WR like a YZ then to make a YZ into a WR. Just remember that. :cry: I have spent a fortune but I finally have a WR minus the wide trans. (which I would die for) A WR will feel and jump just as good as a YZ with the tank/seat combo and redone suspension. Then a simple adjustment of the cam and WALLA, a YZ with lights. :cry: :cry:

A WR 426 has retarded timing, wide ratio trans, bigger gas tank and an 18 inch rear wheel.

The yz 426 has a HIGH 1st gear so if you ride nasty technical 1st gear stuff get the WR. If you ride trails in 2nd and above, get the YZ and let it rip!!

I think the next one I get will be a YZ, then I'll change it as I see fit. There is a thread about a drop in swap of the 4 speed tranny for the WR 5 speed as well. I think even if you did all the updates to make a WR more like a YZ, you still end up with a heavy, undersprung YZ. The money required to swap a YZ to more WR like would be in the tranny. IF you really really had to have lights (I've never used mine) then you'd have to throw in a stator upgrade. These are all personal opinions, of course. :cry:

Thanks for all the input; I am still looking at a couple of different bikes. How much difference in weight is there between the 2 bikes?

The yz is about 220lbs dry+oil and 1.8 gal of fuel

The wr is about 245lbs dry+oil and 2.1 gal of fuel

The yz is about 220lbs dry+oil and 1.8 gal of fuel

The wr is about 245lbs dry+oil and 2.1 gal of fuel

maybe in a perfect world(or japan) my 04 wr 450 weighed 269 lbs oiled up without gas. the "dry weight" yamaha gave for my bike was 247,so after adding 5 lbs for vital fluids that should be 252 right? wrong!!! after some research i found that yamahas dry weight is without tires!!!! only after removing 23 lbs did i get down to their claimed weight to start with. so one can only assume that the yz 450 weight is also somewhere in the high 240's race ready w/out gas.don't know where you get your info but mine came from a zeroed beam scale! :cry: :cry:

I pulled it off of the yamaha website. I didn't know that it was without tires. THAT IS WHERE I GOT MY :cry: INFO FROM.