Fouling plugs

Any one have any recomendations, I keep fouling plug with my 03 yz450f, that means I'm running rich right? If its something I can fix with a screw driver that would be awesome. Last year I fouled one, this year I'm on #3, thanks

James ? :cry:

i would always foul plugs and they were carbon fouled... only if i wasnt on the gas all the time. i found the main jet was lean enough but the pilot was 3 steps too rich.

you need to check out the jets

Lots of threads here on foulded plugs. For me, it would run great and start great all day, then the next day no fire without a new plug. My solution was 2 fold. 1) Stop using Mobil brand gas, for some reason that always did it to me. 2) When I start the bike on the stand, don't turn it off until it has gotten fully up to temp. If I start it and run it for 10-20 seconds to show a friend and then turn it off, then sometimes the next day it won't start without a new plug.

But in the years I've had it, if I don't use Mobil gas and make sure I always run it up to temp I have had zero problems with spark plugs!

I've also had problems with fouling plugs on start up, 4 in one month. So I tried a differant brand (Autolite) now I've gone 2 months without incedent. The insulator around the NGK plugs is very porous to reduce heat buildup in the electrode wich also means it will soak up unburnt fuel and wala, a fuel fouled plug. ?

mine has a problem starting after i wash it im pretty sure water gets down into where the plug is making it harder to start but not sure does anyone else have this problem?

Nope, no problem after washing and I pretty much drench it. I even hose around the carb and up under the tank really well. Sounds like you've got a leak somewhere into something important. ?

I was fouled 2 plugs in a month on my 05' 450. I had black plugs with a little blowback. I went with a little hotter plug with 2 electrodes and leaned out the carb with the fuel screw now I don't have any problems. The bike has a little better response with the duel electrode plug. (they are a little pricey but you know that all the gas is getting burned. ? :cry: ?

Sounds alot like my situation, start it up to make sure everything ok for a few minutes, then next time won't start, but with a fresh plug no problemo

Yes don't do this, that gives me a dead plug for sure. When you start it to check it out, let it run up to full temp for a few minutes before turning it off and I'll bet your problem is gone.

the ceramic can get a wet carbon foul from not getting hot enough to burn it off. Thats why it sometimes requires a fresh plug to fire.

Always let the bike warm up properly before shutting it off. And dont rev it just before killing it. All you do is soak the plug with raw fuel.