Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spud400

handlebars too low

16 posts in this topic

Hey, I have and '96 xr400, I bought it used, with what I guess is standard 7/8 renthal bars on it already. I am 6'2" and can't stand up with these bars so low and maintain the control I want. I checked the local stores, and they said I can only get a different bend, not more rise. I looked on renthal's site, and couldn't find anything.

We just had a baby, so I'm low on cash, is there a solution that is both safe and less expensive than new bars??

Bars are going to be your least expensive option. Renthal trials bars come with various rises up to 95mm and overall height of 125mm. Rise on my '03 stock bars was about 65mm. I prefer tall straight bars for trail riding.

Hey, I got a set of Pastrana Protapers and a mounting kit for my XR400, they were the highest rise I found without going to an ATV bend. It is much better. I found the riding position on the XR250 to be unrideable due to the low bars.

<font color="navy">Jimmy Button bend Renthal bars (much higher rise than stock). If that's too high, then step down to the CR Hi-bend. Renthal's Applications page gives you a variety of options including MX Enduro and "Rider Bars." Click on Rider Bars and you'll get the list of bars, including Jimmy Button, and their dimensions... You can contrast that against the stock (or near stock) bends in the "MX Enduro" section.

That's what I used but i got them from thumper racing in tx. they have two heights available. I went with the 1 1/2 " ones 85-88 bucks i think, they were here in LR in two days. 6=2" also. and no hassle changing controls or buying new grips either.

I've got a xr4 and purchased Emig Racings top clamp. Much better positioning than the stock top clamp (I also ordered their tall bar clamps). The bars are still positioned slightly aft of the fork centerline. Also had to grind the odo plate slightly on the right side because they did not machine 2 ears up front on the clamp where the odo plate bolts up (see below). Still much better than stock though.

Applied Racing makes an even better top clamp which allows a farther forward positioning of the odo plate and the bar clamps themselves (compared to Emig).

I may purchase Applied's clamp and risers & sell my Emig clamps for 1/2 of what I paid for them. The bike is spotless & garage kept. Clamps are in mint cond.

-Chris

I had the same problem with my '04 XR400R. I am 6'1" and found that I was bending too far over the bars when standing.

The '04 came with the CR Hi Bend bars or a cheap equivalent, right off the showroom floor, so don't bother with those. Get the Jimmy Button Bend Renthals. You won't go wrong... :cry:

John

If you don't want to put too much thought into it, the standard is to buy the CR-HI bend.

There are two major factors for bars.

Height and Sweep.

If the bars are an inch higher, but swept way back, you'll feel like you are on the original bars. They will raise you up, but set you back. Check both measurements when buying bars.

Loosen the bar clamps and rotate the stock bars forward two notches. You'll feel the bars rotate each notch. I am talking a couple of degrees, not a 22 degree rotation! The slight change will feel like nothing sitting on the bike but HUGE when you ride. This will also make the stock bars feel like they have less sweep. See how you like it.

At your height, you need a taller bar. No doubt. I'm 5-10, I needed a taller bar to ride standing up.

I went to the Renthal Ricky Charmichael bars. This bar is taller and has VERY LITTLE sweep. It took me several rides to get use to it. I got so I really liked the bars as they had me standing forward over the bars, more aggressively. Not a great bar for sitting, they felt too straight. I really liked them until I got into a big crash and bent them. I now have a CR-HI bend that I am trying out.

Less sweep -> good to stand up, elbows up, more aggressive.

More sweep -> good for sit down, elbows down, more relaxed.

Do a little testing.

The Renthal YZ85 bend has a combination of more rise and almost the stock sweep. The RC bend it taller and straighter. The CR-Hi bend it taller with more sweep. So think about what works for you, then get that bend.

Hey, I have and '96 xr400, I bought it used, with what I guess is standard 7/8 renthal bars on it already. I am 6'2" and can't stand up with these bars so low and maintain the control I want. I checked the local stores, and they said I can only get a different bend, not more rise. I looked on renthal's site, and couldn't find anything.

We just had a baby, so I'm low on cash, is there a solution that is both safe and less expensive than new bars??

Go here and look at the Renthal trials bend bars. They are straight, flat, and tall. Renthal Bars

I'm only 5'7" and I have the same problem, because I stand 90% of the time . I use a set of universal fat bar mounts and Moose Dick Burelson bend bars, same as cr high , just narrower. I just bought a scotts top triple clamp(thanks ga426), the mounts look the same height, but there moved forward. This would help too.

I am in the same boat here, a 250 xr, new to me, and standing seems like my hands are behind me when at the proper riding position. would be curious to know what you try spudd.......

what are some bar risers going to cost? i am thinking about shifting the bars two clicks forward, as suggested above, and installing the bar risers. that could be the ticket, and likely the cheapest option.

thanks for the suggestions TTer's. :cry: