426F - clutch replacement

Have a 2000 426. Time for a new clutch. Never done one before. I've seen aftermarket assemblies - are they worth the money or are the OEM parts just as good? Any thoughts, comments, recommendations would be appreciated.

If you are talking about just frictions and steels, I would go Yamaha. Go with a clutch pack from an 01 since the 00 had grabbiness problems. Do a search here on TT for the fix. :cry:

Have a 2000 426. Time for a new clutch. Never done one before. I've seen aftermarket assemblies - are they worth the money or are the OEM parts just as good? Any thoughts, comments, recommendations would be appreciated.

A Hinson basket does make the '00 clutch work better, but the improvement using an entire '01 OEM clutch (keep the '00 pressure plate and basket) is much better, and loads cheaper. It is a huge difference, do a search on this swap for more particulars (like parts needed, cost etc.) If you are taking your clutch apart for any reason you owe it to yourself to upgrade to the '01 parts.

As for plates I've heard that aftermarkets (like Barnett) don't always fit properly, I've always used OEM clutch plates...

If it were me and I found that the basket is notched I'd price an OEM ('01 model) part, and go that way if it is substantially cheaper, which is likely, all aftermarket baskets are very spendy (Wiseco is now making baskets also).

Hope this helps.

I use OEM clutch plates/springs. :cry:

i believe that these are all the part #'s for the '01 clutch mod. i had them saved because i was planning on doing it soon but tattoos seem to be coming first. but anyways, hope these help.

5JG-16321-00-00 PLATE, FRICTION

5JG-16383-00-00 SPRING, CLUTCH BOSS

5JG-16384-00-00 PLATE, SEAT

93511-32027-00 BEARING, BALL (PUSH ROD ASSY.)

5BE-16356-00-00 ROD, PUSH 1

5JG-16357-10-00 ROD, PUSH 2

5JG-15453-00-00 GASKET, CLUTCH COVER

Thanks a lot everyone. 2001 OEM it is. Gotta get it in soon - burned it up yesterday in an enduro and I can't ride! :cry:

If you are careful when pulling the clutch cover off, you don't need the gasket. I've had mine off a couple of times with no problems. The 01 parts are definitely the way to go :cry: