Are the radiator's weak on wr450f?

Today I went riding with a couple of buddies of mine. I had a light crash to the left side of my bike and ended up leaving the bike at the pit because the inlet pipe on the rad broke. My buddies couldn't believe how easy it broke from a light fall. Has anybody else had this problem with thier wr's

Russ 04 wr450f ?

a couple of weekends ago i hooked a vine on the right shield and bent it all the way to my knee without damage to the radiator. really freeked me out.

i have also hit mine a few times laterally pretty hard without perminent damage, so they seem to be tough. i'm sure that you can hurt one, but ...

I have welded 2 bikes radiators on the trail. I personally never had any problems but I use radiator guards. Devol and Rooster seems to gave the most protection as the scoops are connected to them and not the radiator, which is importanat if you get a tree with your scoop, or if you fall with speed and something get your radiator scoop and pull it back. A friend of mine has 2 cases of failers with radiator braces, both with back preasure on the scoops.

serious beatings... I know this becasue my shrouds have a bunch of white creases in them...

What shrouds. Well, at least I have one.

Mine have always leaked some time after a wreck. Thank God for radiator repair people. ?

Radiators are the parts on modern thumpers that are most likely to cause you to push your bike out of the woods.

They are made from very thin aluminum and take a shot almost everytime the bike goes down.

If you are riding without rad guards, you are playing with fire.

A good guard needs to:

-protect the face of the rad from frontal impacts (trees, roost, etc)

-keep the rad from squishing when the bike goes down on the side

-keep the rad from folding back in high speed crashes

-promote good airflow while doing all of the above.

MVC-002F.JPGMVC-009F.JPG

www.unabiker.com

Thanks for the info and pics. I think over the winter I'm going to invest in a rad protector.

I took my rad off not much to it. My inlet pipe is lose allowing the antifreeze to blow by. How do you fix it and Can you soft solder the rad? ?

Take it to a auto rad shop they can fix it. They fixed mine in less than two hours and only costed $20. I split the bottom tank from the core on the left rad when I tried to straighten it out after hitting a tree. If your's is bent straighten it to where you want it, mark where the inlet should face and take it in and they'll fix it. I purchased a set of UNIBIKER gaurds and I have nailed trees and laid the bike down pretty hard with no damage to rads. IMO the best investment for rad protection. Plus they're (On Sale)now. ?