Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seabass

One Hot Piggy

6 posts in this topic

I just got my bike back from having a full race prep on it. Took it for a ride around the neighborhood and the pig went and boiled over. I called the shop who did the work and they say they didn't change/ touch the coolant. I've heard that changing the radiator cap to a 1.6 will cure boilovers but what's the down side? Also, does Honda make a 1.6 radiator cap? Also, the bike didn't boil over while idling, but ripping around the neighborhood. Would leaning out the carb (Edelbrock) cause a boilover?

Lean will cause hot!I bought a new XRL last year,and was going on a last minute ride.I threw on my old PC pipe (no re-jet)and the oil temp(had gauge)was way past normal(almost 300).Ran like crap too. :cry:

Changing cap to 1.6 puts more pressure on the hoses, that could leak or rupture over time.Kawasaki sells a 1.6 cap that works 49085-1059. Baja designs sells it for $30 Kawasaki sells it for less.

I replaced my coolant with EVANS NPG, it has no water and boils at a very high temp. But you have someting going on that I did not have. Mine was overheating at low speed which is common. Boiling over at high speed would make me look at the carb adjustment. Is it lean? Is the water pump working? My bet would be that the carb is lean. Does it have any indication of a lean carb? The shop has been in there tuning, they adjusted the carb :cry:. Lean carb could overheat.

Changing cap to 1.6 puts more pressure on the hoses, that could leak or rupture over time.Kawasaki sells a 1.6 cap that works 49085-1059. Baja designs sells it for $30 Kawasaki sells it for less.

I replaced my coolant with EVANS NPG, it has no water and boils at a very high temp. But you have someting going on that I did not have. Mine was overheating at low speed which is common. Boiling over at high speed would make me look at the carb adjustment. Is it lean? Is the water pump working? My bet would be that the carb is lean. Does it have any indication of a lean carb? The shop has been in there tuning, they adjusted the carb :cry:. Lean carb could overheat.

The shop that worked on it told me they didn't touch the carb- it was the first time they had seen an Edelbrock carb. But one of the mechanics I talked to when I picked up the bike told me he got rid of the roll on hesitation by "leaning out the carb". I was flabbergasted cuz the owner had just said they didn't touch the carb, so who knows.

I did richen the mixture up and it isn't puking coolant anymore, but it is leaking coolant where the hoses clamp to the thermostat housing. Could this be a symptom of a broken thermostat?

Thanks for everyone that took time to answer my ?'s :cry:

Running a engine lean will definetly make it run hot and too lean to long will make things seize,not good..

You might want to check for vacum leaks :cry: :cry:

I thought mine was boiling over at high speed too!!! But it turned out to be a pin hole in the small crossover hose at the top of both rads... Sometimes the tank rubs it!!! I had replaced that same hose last year too! so check it... its right behind the cap on the right rad, gotta take the tank off and see if you can see a pinhole right where the edge of the spigot is... Good Luck :cry: :cry: :cry: