THE HIT !?!?!

I know there have been some discussions brought up about the newer YZF's getting softer on "The Hit" as to create less wheel spin. My question is, how many people are for and against this ?

I like the hit, I like being able to rail through a berm and get my back tire spinning up a roost with a flick of the throttle. I used to like it when my 2-smoke used to hit the power band and do that for me but now that snap and automatic response out of the throttle is one of the things I like about my 450.

controllable or useful power..? wouldn't that be your ability to control your throttle and clutch??? Yamaha should keep "The Hit" and give ignition remmaping or a softer clutch to (a wr450) or those who dont want bike that bites as hard as as it barks! :cry:

My sentiments exactly. Imagine my dismay after throwing down 7 big ones on a bike that no longer lives up to it's legend. Even after putting a 13T gear on the front, I still dont have to grab the bike with my knees. And I have yet to see it even come close to looping me. And popping my arms out of their sockets? LOL I have to pop the clutch on it coming out of the corners.

I ride 04 yz250f's and have had 250f's since 02. Even though the 250's arent stock, I was at least expecting the 450 to be considerably quicker than the 250 if not just simply blow their doors off when pinning it. Maybe I was expecting too much.

Ya know...after riding two strokes all my life and then suddenly being changed over to 4 strokes, ive never noticed this "HIT" that all you 4 strokers complain about. Go spin a few laps on any 80-125 cc two stroke, then go take a few laps on your 450 and realize how smooth and linear your power is in comparison! Even my 426 had what i would call VERY smooth, tractable power...seemed like it pulled the same from idle to redline. Now that im back on a two stroke, i do feel the sudden change in power, but i usually dont let RPMs drop enough to worry about it. A "HIT"!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I know what you mean, Jeffro. The bike I had before my 450 was the '94 CR500. The YZ is a kitten compared to that.

I love the hit of the yzf thats why I sold my CRF. I want even more hit. Use it to your advantage :cry:

Well the CDI unit was dead on arrival so I dont have "THE HIT" yet. But running a 13T counter sprocket, cutting the screen out and adding the Ti4 pipe has really helped it.

I wasnt cussing it anymore today, it's running at the same level as the 250's do. So hopefully with a CDI box that works, it should give me what I'm looking for.

ive never noticed this "HIT" that all you 4 strokers complain about.

jeffro, this isn't a complaint of having a hit but, just the opposite, an opinion on the fact that yamaha is trying to mellow out the engine. there is barely any thing of a hit there and still yamaha feels the need to back off. they have each year by remapping ignition to change how quickly the engine responds to a turn of the throttle. from the responses here it seems like more people would rather have the engine more potent. SO WHAT IS YAMAHA'S PROBLEM??

about riding the 2-smokes, i just rode an 04 yz250 with only a couple hours on it and the throttle is like an on/off switch (yeah, thats some hit) but still has nothing on a 4-stroke bottom end torque.

From what I've seen in print, I gather that Yamaha has the opinion that a reasonably large portion of the market resistance to the YZ450, and the succes of the CRF, has been the agressive characteristics of the YZ's power output, either in fact, or by reputation. The print media has contributed as least as much to this as word of mouth has, but after a while things get exagerrated and perception becomes reality.

As a recent MXA article on Doug Dubach's own YZ450 said, "..the CRF450 is easier to ride. Not faster, not torquier, not better, just easier...". Dubach came up with the idea of fiddling with the timing of the exhaust cam to change the lobe centering and slide the power curve up a little higher so that it doesn't have the explosive low/mid range it was born with. (you can check it out on his website, http://www.dubachracing.com ) He was pushing the idea that this would keep the overall power level without it being hard to control, and it seems like Yamaha went with it. If you run the RPMs up, the power is supposed to still be there, but they sure do sound awfully tight before they hit the rev limit. I'm a lot more comfortable using the torque that comes with the bigger cubic inches. Maybe splitting the diference would have been better.

"..the CRF450 is easier to ride. Not faster, not torquier, not better, just easier...".

the opinions that i have heard both here and from people locally is that crf handles cornering easier and, being that is where a lot of people lose their speed i could see that being a big determining factor on what bike to buy.

it seems that if putting usable power on the ground was a big problem, no one would be riding 2-smokes. i know the 125 class is swamped with 4-strokes but, 250 class still has plenty of 2-strokes.

Trust me the “HIT” of the YZ is still there. I’ve had an 03 YZ 450 for 2 years, just sold it and bought a new 05. I always liked my 03 YZ. Cant say there was anything that was not fast or likable about the bike. However, after riding my new 05 the thing that stood out the most was the fact that it was a bit smoother down low. Not that it didn’t have the “HIT” just smoother. With the 03 YZ I had to clutch it more out of corners and it hit a bit hard, not that it was not good, but now that I have an 05 I notice the difference and the power of the 05 is much more manageable but still has all the “HIT” you will need. It is not tame nor any different feeling to most people. I actually felt that it was more powerful. BTW, I ride MX only, Vet Intermediate,

i like the "hit" its my 1st bike that iv owend but ridden others i can tell the diff from a crf. the "hit" has scared me a couple times :cry:

I can't feel any hit at all on my '04... The power delivery seems very linear and smooth from the bottom all the way to the top.

I guess its all in how you ride and what you expect.

Now if you really want a bike with "hit", go ride an FZ1 or R1. My FZ1 was a different bike completely over 6000 rpm's. It was amazing how hard that bike pulled...

Overdrive, I agree with you completely! It's amazing how, at 80 mph, a twist of the throttle (even in 6th gear) will throw you back on the FZ-1. 80 - 100+ acceleration is just like 30-60 mph. Unreal torque. There's a reason Cycle World named it the worlds best street bike.

I agree totaly with this post! It is not slow! just better. It pulls very very hard in the middle and all the way up to the rev limiter, it just does not get stupid when you crack the throttle. I raced this weekend and found my 05 way better than the 03! (just my 2 cents) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol::cry:

Trust me the “HIT” of the YZ is still there. I’ve had an 03 YZ 450 for 2 years, just sold it and bought a new 05. I always liked my 03 YZ. Cant say there was anything that was not fast or likable about the bike. However, after riding my new 05 the thing that stood out the most was the fact that it was a bit smoother down low. Not that it didn’t have the “HIT” just smoother. With the 03 YZ I had to clutch it more out of corners and it hit a bit hard, not that it was not good, but now that I have an 05 I notice the difference and the power of the 05 is much more manageable but still has all the “HIT” you will need. It is not tame nor any different feeling to most people. I actually felt that it was more powerful. BTW, I ride MX only, Vet Intermediate,

so the new 05 is not slow. it just puts the power to the ground and and just pulls right. cuz i been reading all of (yz250fracer) post and everything he says is just negitive about the new 05. so i dont no what to think.

Maybe all you wanted to read of my posts was negative due to your wanting one, but I have complemented the forks, and said it has massive potential.

I didnt say it was slow, I said it's not as quick as our yz250f's. There is a difference. It's plenty fast at the top end, but it takes too long to get there for my needs.

It's plenty fast at the top end, but it takes too long to get there for my needs.

what kind of tracks do you ride. :cry:

I ride motocrossworld in orlando which is not real tight but tight enough to need a quick acceleration due to the numerous turns. On a wide open track it would do fine as long as you can keep it in the peak power.

I also ride harescrambles where the low power down low is both good and bad. It's soft enough that you can plod through real tight stuff without stalling it (without a heavy flywheel too, imagine that). But once you hit a clearing you have to wait on it to wind up in rpms. By then the other bikes have already left you.

Like I said before with the pipe and the 13T sprocket and removing the screen, it runs comparable to our beefed up yz250f's. I still dont have to squeeze the seat pinning it to hold on like the 250's but it's getting there.

I love the hit and that is why I am hesitant to get a new bike.

Btw, did you see the article in this months Dirt Rider on the changes to the '05 model?

They go through the PIG pretty well in it. Lemme know if you need a scan of it.