HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WH

How hot is hot?

8 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 Wr400. Purchased a few months ago. Replaced the stock muffler, which was gutted, with a IDS Supertrapp. I am currently running 16 rings. It starts and runs great. I have noticed when it gets dark outside the head pipe has a slight red glow. I checked the spark plug and it looks good. Is the engine running too lean? :cry: Should I rejet it? We are just a couple of hundred feet above sea level.

Thanks

WH

Youre fine - that is normal. My bike, wr450 does the same thing. Once you start moving it will cool down a bit.

Perfectly normal.

The head pipe is only a single wall pipe to save weight. Typically, most four-stroke head pipes are dual wall, so you don't see it glowing.

I noticed the same "problem", the pipe was badly hit and I thought it was overheating from reduced flow...fixed the problem, but pipe still glowing :cry:, untill I was told it is normal

at least pipe looks good now :cry:

not only is it perfectly normal but its a pretty cool feature IMO.

I get a kick out of firing it up at night and showing off my glowing pipe :cry::cry: