86 XL600R overheating, running lean

I am yet another XL600 stator replacing annoyed rider. :cry: The bike is great, a little heavy and tall, but hey the price is right. So the stator went out, the bike runs hot, plugs are white. Does anyone know from experience what is going on? Of course many issues are possible. I have cleaned carbs, replaced stator (rickystator.com), airbox, valves adjusted, and air screw out 3 turns. I am trying to prevent my bike from overheating again, and melting another stator. Feels to me like air is getting in somewhere, but I cannot find it...

thx guyz ~Dave

sounds real lean, :cry:

You need to check for vacum leaks,you can use wd40 around the carb. and check were carb mounts to engine,or its jetting is way off,possible some dirt in the carb,or the tank screen is plugged :cry:

sounds real lean,

You need to check for vacum leaks,you can use wd40 around the carb. and check were carb mounts to engine,or its jetting is way off,possible some dirt in the carb,or the tank screen is plugged

Yeah I am planning on using WD/something to check for vaccum leaks, I don't know about jetting stuff :cry:, and the carbs were just cleaned (by a shop). Tank screen? Like in the fuel tank? Cool man, thx for the reply. I will go tinker.

Mine is in the shop right now for the same problem...I'll post the results as soon as I have them...In the mean time Don't make any long runs and get a temp gauge dip stick to monitor your motor temp to keep from burning another stator and to be able to tell if the fixes you are trying are working....

Temp guage dip stick, man, why didn't I think of that>?

Thanks! :cry: :cry:

Let me know if you find a fix for the overheating....the guys at the shop are still confused as to what is causing the problem...

As of yesterday we found that the pickup coil has been damaged due to the heat generated by the engine. The spark plug read is indicating that the carbs are set right and not too lean....What else could be causing the engine to overheat?