HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hasty450

Desert riding with a 4speed Tranny

12 posts in this topic

Hi, I was hoping that you guys who do desert riding with your 450 could give me some input as far as the 4speed tranny is concerned. I ride at Ocotillo and Glamis, I'm sure the 4speed would be fine at Glamis but at Ocotillo it's not all that uncommon to have some high speed runs in 5th. Whats your guys opinion on the 4speed?

the 4 speed does the job. i like it. if you want more top end then you can always go up a tooth on the front or down teeth on the back. i basically ride only desert and it works for me.

I ride the desert quite a bit. When I got the bike, I decided to drop 2 teeth off the rear (actually, I could'nt get a 46 without doing a SO, so I went to a 15/49. It's the same ratio) This gave me a 1st gear almost exactly like a YZ426, and a 4th that is just a bit lower than the 5th on a 426. The "paper" top speed against the rev limit is 92, but of course, that doesn't account for tire slippage, etc.

4th is high enough for most things except those long, graded access roads. Like MX gearing for most bikes usually is.

I went from an 02 wr to an 03 yz and i only notice it on long straights where friends on KX500's geared up go flying by me! Most of the times i'm hi in the rpms trying to keep up(straights/fireroads) but on desert single track you can fly with the best of them!!! :cry:

Thats the exact input I was looking for. It's good to hear that the 4speed tranny performs well in a desert riding situation. Thanks for the input guys! :cry:

You could always drop a 5-speed WR tranny in it if you need some more top end without sacrificing the low end pull :cry:

Not on an 03. 04 i believe you can

Why? What did they change from 03 to 04? The trannies are identical, and only the clutch inner/outer look to be different, but it mates to the same other parts as the 04. Did the cases have to be clearenced different or something?

Not on an 03. 04 i believe you can

Wrong. '03 &'04 are the same deal. But, you do need the Whole Thing, so it costs about $750 to do.

I have a 04 wr gear box in my 03 case's works fantastic :cry: i love it now :cry:

Hey, alright Jack! You got your 5 speed up.

What do you use for your final gearing?

Do you think the ratios are too wide?

Talk to me.

I added a tooth to my front sproket and that helps the top end quite a bit. Definately recommended for those wipe open runs in Ocitillo.