Pulled over by the cops!

I got pulled over by the cops tonight on my 2001 XR650R. I was riding on the street but I have it street legal here in my state. The problem was that the cops don't know what the requirements are for a street legal bike! Here in Utah, you need a head lamp, horn, left mirror, tail lamp, and brake lamp. You also need brakes (now thats an idea). However, according to the policeman that pulled me over I need turn signals, license plate mounted to be perpendicular to the line of sight from behind, DOT tires, yada, yada, yada. Finally, another officer came by and they both got on the radio to their station and were told that they didn't know exactly what the law says. This was after I requested Utah code numbers for the violations that they were going to give me.

To make a long story somewhat short, I came home and got on the net and downloaded the codes for motorcycle laws that affect making a bike street legal. I made a copy and put them in the tool kit of the bike. The next time I get pulled over, and I'm sure it'll happen, I'll have chapter and verse of what the law really says.

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against law enforcement. I was very cordial with them tonight. They are just doing their job. Better safe than sorry. ?

Sounds like they have been smoked by the bandits to many times that are not legal, so you took the scolding! Good luck when you whip out the literature they should already know! Good thinking!!

In California you can go to the following site:State of California laws and regulations search

I live in Utah and went to their state web site and did a search under "motorcycle". All laws and regulations that had anything to do with motorcycles were listed. It was interesting to find out what the actual law says compared to what agencies, police, motorcycle dealers, etc. say that the law is. There is a lot of mis-information out there and much is coming from dealers that want to sell items that are not needed.

I'm sure many, if not all, of the states have a simular web site to find out what each state requires. Hope this helps. ?