HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billyj7175

Uni Filter oil

5 posts in this topic

Uni Filter states that you must use their filter oil and filter cleaner....anybody used anything else?

Billy,

Don't know about the UNI filter. I am happy with the stock one. I clean it every three rides and no dirt has gotten past it into the airbox.

I used to use gasoline, outdoors and and in a shallow pan. This is not safe and it destroys the adhesive holding the two layers of the stock filter together.

Now I soak the filter with Dawn dishwashing detergent and cover with very hot water (in my stainless steel kitchen sink). I let it sit a while and then knead the foam with my fingers. I roll-up (do not twist) the filter to squeeze out the dirt. Repeat a second time and it is clean.

Let the filter dry. Spray with filter oil then roll up filter in both directions to spread oil out evenly.

This takes a little longer but works great. That's why I have two filters and do this at my leisure. No expensive treatment solutions are required.

Great idea with 2 filters!! That way one's always ready to go! I do that with chains too, & it spreads the use so your sprockets/chains last longer. B. Jimi

I sqease varsol through it,and then rinse it repeatedly with Sunlight and warm water. :)